Lack of Saver C class TATL seats

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by weez, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. weez
    Original Member

weez Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking for a saver C trans atlantic award seat for August 2011. I started looking at 330 days out and have just done another search, and basically there is one day (9 November) when there is 1 seat available in the next 11 months! There are plenty of F saver awards - just no C [​IMG]

Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks
    Louise

2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this seems to be a longstanding tradition at UA (I don'[t know about CO). That's why you should book now before the differential between C and F increases TATL. Just go for the F if you have the miles. BTW, the same tends to be true trans-Pacific as well.

santafefran likes this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you just searching UA metal? Have you tried STAR carriers? Suggest you go over to the Aeroplan.com site and do an award search (no need to sign in or be a member) around your preferred dates. It will bring up STAR carriers as well as AC. Make a note of what shows up and works for you, then call MP and give them the flights/dates to book. I find the UA/MP booking engine one of the worst when looking for partner awards (and STAR awards are at the Saver mileage level).

4. weez
    Original Member

weez Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I'll try that (STAR awards) as want 3 seats together rather than a 2 and 1

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business travel seems to be improving, capacity is way down with the flatbed conversions, and demand is up because they're flatbeds and a pretty decent hard product. Not saying I like it, but it does seem kind of like a case of "No one goes there anymore - they're too popular".

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You might go to this thread to help you find ways to find inventory. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/newbies-guide-to-award-booking-without-elite-status.4124/

However, one of the issues that I have seen is that LH has significantly reduced its number of F and C awards that they will allow *A carriers to book. From what I understand, this is, at least in part, due to bringing the A380 online. They are not allowing any C and F (don't know about Y) *A carriers to book awards on those flights. This is putting a big dampener on awards.

Good luck trying to get 3 seats on one flight. I suspect you will be forced to break it up 2 and 1 IF you can even find available flights.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I frequently do still see summer 3 business seats JFK-FRA. Not a lot of routes where we see 3 business class seats.

Now, BA (not Star Alliance of course!) is another story entirely. And so if the Air France IAD-CDG A380 with tons of space in business.

But 3 business seats IS hard though it DOES exist. Just don't restrict yourself to UA metal.

8. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha! Try finding a C seat to AUSTRALIA!! :D

Rlpro likes this.
  9. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that LH flies into a good bit of cities in the US. I know of one such US city where availability always looks pretty good to me.;)

ande777emt and Rlpro like this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Off the top of my head...

IAH-FRA used to be awesome, less so recently.
    DTW-FRA is still pretty good
    JFK/EWR-FRA is pretty good
    SFO-MUC and LAX-MUC are easier than SFO-FRA and LAX-FRA (though LAX-FRA does sometimes exist).
    BOS-FRA and especially BOS-MUC are good
    CLT-MUC in F is really quite available
    ATL-FRA is C is often open, rarely F
    IAD-FRA is still pretty good
    DFW-FRA is decent
    DEN-FRA can be tough to get
    ORD-FRA/MUC goes in spurts
    ORD-DUS is pretty available
    YYZ is tough
    MCO is pretty easy, MIA used to be doable but the A380 on MIA-FRA made that go away
    YVR is tough, YYC easier

11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just came back on two MUC-SFO F awards, it's a fine trip. I wouldn't recommend C on the A340 though, it sure didn't look either very competitive or comfortable.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't recommend LH C on any of their planes.

ande777emt and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown C on the A340 on LH. It is pretty good. It was akin to the AA biz seat on the 777. Is it CO and/or UA lie flat good? No, it is not, but it was just fine for me. Ok, I guess I should note that I am a side sleeper though.

14. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    But, why would you choose LH C when there are lie-flat options out there for the same price?

15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair point ... for me if LH has C seats at the low award rates out of CLT and none for UA or CO out of their gateways, I don't see that as a bad spend.:)

JLSocks likes this.
  16. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've also seen good availability on:
    EWR-DUS
    PHL-FRA
    YUL-MUC

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I did a month ago for late April, via PVG from North America on NZ to MEL and TG back. BTW also found C award availability on LH's A380s ex-JFK early September.

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a few hours and if you want a free trip to Europe in the peak summer season in a premium cabin beggars can't be choosers!

19. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is a really LONG way to get to Oz, and since it's an award ticket, you don't get miles for all that extra distance!

20. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH does seem pretty good but my comment was UNITED from USA-OZ-USA ... try finding 2of those in saver C for ANY day!

21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it's all premium cabin travel which really maximizes the redemption value. Isn't that the other side of the mileage equation, to max out the distance flown and the cabin amenities of our redemption?

22. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, from my gateway it's 9+ hours in a lie-flat at an angle seat that is incredibly hard. If I'm burning miles I want to get the most for them (I don't consider it free).

I've found plenty of summer availability on a few carriers with a minimal amount of searching.

23. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, those are crazy hard. I had an easier time getting NZ C SFO-AKL-SYD last year at this time than UA C!

24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    United availability SFO/LAX-SYD is incredibly tough to come by in C/F. Air Canada YVR-SYD is as well. NZ (YVR/SFO/LAX-AKL) isn't too tough during the Northern summer months. During other times of the year, I usually see C seats released exactly 60 days out from travel.

tahewett likes this.
  25. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    In September last last year I managed to book a saver ticket on United, MEL to LHR and back only 5 days before departure. And the whole trip was in C-Class!!! Take that ozstamps, or was I just lucky ;)
    Though advising the OP to wait so close before departure is rather dodgy....
    Good luck to you anyways :)