Lack of Lounge Facilities at EWR

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Jun 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the closure of the Red Carpet Lounge in Terminal A, and the onset of thunderstorm season in New York and the many accompanying flight delays, it becomes too evident how lame that terminal is.

With the volume of Air Canada passengers through EWR, isn't it about time they took over the old RC lounge space to open a Maple Leaf lounge? It would provide a great edge over Porter's very convenient and more frequent service.

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been an issue since last fall when the UA Club in that pier was closed, and UA also stopped running its airside shuttle buses between piers (there's a UC Club in the next pier over). This means doing the horrendous EWR security twice if you want to use that UC Club, which is always overcrowded. The closed club was much larger, but with UA pulling its flights from that pier there was no reason for keeping it going. While I agree the situation makes EWR a pain, I don't think numbers justify an MLL. AC could contract with UA to extend the shuttle bus routing to return to this pier so we can do an airside transfer between piers though I still don't think numbers would justify the cost. Best solution, if your flying from/to YYZ, book a UA metal flight!

viguera likes this.
  3. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a problem for me as I fly UA to EWR from YEG non-stop!:)

YULtide likes this.
  4. Oh wow:rolleyes: AC thanks you for the business since its a full code share.

5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    grrrr....with Air Canada's reduced summer schedule I have been flying more UA. Unfortunately mostly turbo props. I've had lots of problems with late/cancelled UA flights over the past month.

6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booking on united.ca saves me a bundle not like the jacked-up nonsense on their site. Random dates in October show that only fools would book with ErrorCanada for $923 on a "Flex" as opposed to $787. Same flights non-stop

Even crazier is Business Class with United at $1102.00 versus.......$2221.00. Same flights.

mtlfire and YULtide like this.
  8. Everything in the US costs less; or are you just figuring that out?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two reasons why I don't do that:
    • Q400 instead of E-Jet
    • T3 instead of T1 (with MLL)
    For me personally, the morning lounge in T1 makes a bigger difference.

10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why anyone would book YYZ-EWR now for random dates in October. I always book mine a week or two ahead, and in four years and ~80 round trips to EWR, I typically pay on either side of $400 for a Flex fare, and I don't think I have ever paid much more than $500 with a one-week advance. Fares around $300 can easily be found when AC and Porter have competing seat sales.

Looking on ac.com right now, with a two-week advance, at round trips during the week of June 23rd (two weeks ahead). Many combinations for $332, and $396 is very easy unless you need a specific schedule. All on Flex. Following week has Tango fares available, too, should you prefer those ... :rolleyes:

canucklehead likes this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a nuisance but not a game-changer for me. I monitor flights the day of my return and I can usually minimize the amount of time I sit in the terminal at EWR.

What would probably make the most sense is to find a contract operator for that lounge who could also offer (paid) lounge access to JetBlue and SW pax. AC alone doesn't really have enough volume at EWR. (Even when UA was still there, the lounge was never busy, less than 25% occupancy was typical.)

12. Tom you must understand the character named Yegman. He has a long history of hatred towards AC that is both irrational and illogical. He likes to stir up animosity and has friends on TOB with similar pedigrees. thhere is absolutely nothing that AC does right in their eyes

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you ought to take the time to read the post and then understand it. These are the same flights and have nothing to do with the US. One set is on United's site and the other is on ErrorCanada's site.

14. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither irrational nor illogical. A long history of calling a spade a spade whether it's the charade that ErrorCanada provides anything resembling service to Edmonton or the nonsense that they are somehow the 'flagship' carrier when they are really a Central Canadian carrier. I suppose if I lived in YYZ (no thanks, 3 years there was long enough) and spent other peoples' money to fly it might be different but I doubt it.

15. One is based on US pricing and the other on Canadian. its pretty simple and fits almost all US/Canadian pricing models. It is on UA metal and when the flight is on AC metal the price is also higher.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Your idea of a spade is a shovel. Edmonton is a second ranked City with almost every airline as YYC is the major hub for Alberta. Facts are facts and you cannot accept them because of the blinders worn.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada and United are selling the same flight, but they're selling it a different price. Who says they have to sell it at the exact same price?

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:

But UA flies to/from T1, where have you been for the past four or five years?! Granted you have to leave 5-minutes earlier to trek to the far distant "finger" used by the Barbie Jets and turboprops.

And the Q400s now have an F "cabin" unlike the 145s which I'll give you don't but have the single exit row seat for space and privacy. So if you're an MP elite, you'll likely sit up front for nothing instead of wasting eUpgrades with AC.

19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're sometimes selling at different prices because one or the other carriers has sold out its allocation of the lowest fares. In most cases it will be the codeshare partner (and not the metal carrier) that has the lowest fares because most people will be booking through the metal carrier (AC in this example) and thus use up its lowest fare categories first, while the codeshare partner (UA in this case) will still have low fare inventory. This occurs in almost all codeshare situations...so it often pays to check out and book the codeshare partner rather than the metal carrier.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    YYC has become the main hub airport in Alberta because it has more corporate offices and thus generates more high revenue dollars for the airlines. It also has the added enticement of Banff which attracts Canadian and foreign tourists to a far greater degree than does Jasper, thus making it a primary gateway for European and Asian flights since the back cabin can easily be filled with tour groups and the like. Unfortunately, YEG while having a marginally larger population base, delivers more vacationing fliers who are leaving the province rather than coming to it. $ yields per passenger are thus lower. Add to that the legacy/history of the YYC-YEG/YXD-YEG shuttle making it easier to fly Edmontonians south to connect with and top off ex-YYC flights, the nail has been in YEG's coffin since the 80s.

However, with the advent of more cost-effective medium-capacity 2-cabin jets like the CRAs and E170/190s, YEG is among a tier of cities that airlines believe they can serve with better nonstop flights (like DEN, ORD and EWR). So although it can be considered a tier 3 airport city (Toronto and Vancouver are tier 1, Montreal and Calgary are tier 2, Edmonton, Ottawa and Halifax are tier 3, Winnipeg and Quebec City are tier 4...at least in my rankings) it has increasingly better direct/non-stop services as some carriers break from the hub/spoke model where loads permit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. I agree. its a "spoke" City not a "hub"

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plaza Premium Lounge would be nice. I use it every week in YYZ instead of the crowded MLL.

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Duh, I don't know what I was thinking! Sorry ...
    An F cabin on a UA flight doesn't help me much since I don't have UA status. On the flip side, I do get frequent op-ups on the AC flight.

Still, on the balance, I'll take the E-Jet and the less congested Terminal A in EWR.

24. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....Air Canada down to 3 flights a day YYZ-EWR for summer (11 each for UA and Porter). On that basis I'd guess an MLL is unlikely.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four, actually, not three. But whether three, four, five or six, it's really not enough for an MLL.

LETTERBOY likes this.