Lack of discount economy space to CUN

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Scottrick, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been put in charge of planning a family trip to Mexico over New Year's. My parents would prefer PVR, but given that none of us have ever seen the Atlantic Ocean (except from the air), my sibs and I would prefer CUN. The thing is I can't find anything on UA or CO for less than $1200-1400 RT. The issue seems to be that nearly all the available space left is in either F/C or a few scattered seats in Y/B/M for the seats out of CUN and back to SFO or SEA on 1/1 and 1/2.

Is this normal? I understand CUN is for partying and New Year's is generally a big party, but I expected better prices five months out. US has some discount coach seats left for ~$700, though the departure/arrival times are worse. I haven't check other airlines, but I expect few have matched the obscene prices UA has available. If I can't find cheaper seats to CUN, I may be stuck at PVR again.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Xmas-new years is always pricy for that region.. BTW, technically you still wont see the atlantic from CUN.......:D

Ygor and mht_flyer like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    you may have better luck trying to book a resort/airfare combo

Ygor likes this.
  4. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the dates I was looking at, the seatmaps are wide open (ie 4 seats taken on a 737), but it was only B3, Y9.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not uncommon for the region at that time of year. There have been times where CO would only sell B fares - non-refundable at that - into the area during that time of year and still sell plenty of seats.

Either use miles - even slEasyPass isn't a bad value at those rates - or head somewhere else. As noted, it isn't the Atlantic Ocean anyways. ;)

6. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    In related news, flights to SMX are much cheaper, and offer better views :)

Flyer1976 and Ygor like this.
  7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    [Pedantic] You probably meant SXM, unless you're suggesting that California's Central Coast is better than Cancun...in which case I don't really disagree. [/Pedantic]

Scottrick and 2wheels like this.
  8. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does it need to be mexico? I've seen a lot of discount fares to sju.

Also check air canada to cun. I've lucked out on us holidays that are not canadian holidays (although not the case here)

Scottrick likes this.
  9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may also want to look at doing some sort of positioning flight to get to a cheaper departure point. I know this is a little more, but I'm seeing a huge drop in price compared to what you are looking at.

I will second the AC idea, as although the holiday is for both countries, Canada has a lot of heavy promotion for Cuba trips so their flights to CUN could be quite a bit cheaper (though you will have to deal with higher airfare taxes).

Scottrick likes this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, true, and I have been to the SMXgig with my dad several times. But while I know I won't really see the Atlantic, I started flying on my own precisely to see someplace different :cool:

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    VX's planes are full on your return dates, so, no, it really IS a busy time of year for CUN. But you may want to look at some other AAirlines as well... ;)