Lack of *A Award YVR-YYZ-YVR

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by AMRivlin, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using KVS, I searched for award space YVR-YYZ for a range of dates for August 26-30th and back.

I do not understand how AC can have 17 daily nonstops and not offer a single award seat to *A members.

I always struggle with AC award space, but thought 150 days out I would find some seats in a 4-5 day window in either direction. All flights are R9 Y9

Any Advice?

2. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really... I'm showing late July being entirely sold out. While they are lots of direct flights, the problem is that they get filled up with the TPAC crowd, not just YYZ-YVR o/d traffic.

I'm showing availability YVR-YYZ Aug 1-7 & 9. Returning Aug 1-6 & 9.

3. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but I am looking August 26-30.

It says Y9 for August 26
    [​IMG]

4. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bad.

For August I am showing YVR - YYZ availability on the 27th & 31st, and returning availability Sep 1-13th.

5. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan might see seats, but Star Alliance Members are blocked from these seats.

6. Not Your Average Moron
    Original Member

Not Your Average Moron Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be inclined to book SEA-YYZ. Between US, UA and CO, you should be able to find something.

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can move your dates a day or two, I can see availability at Saverpass levels for both Econ and Biz on Continental's website (using AirCanada flights) direct flights for return Sept 1st, but connections on the outbound (Aug 27th YVR-YWG-YYZ).

As NYAM says, lot more availability via SEA, including more flights on AC.

8. If you have elite or above status you should be able to get a flight that suits you if you call AE.

9. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just flat out not true. AwardNexus is showing the exact same availability when you use CO or NH as the search provider.

CO.JPG NH.JPG

10. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    On top of my head I can count about three YVR-YYZ flight #s that are the continuance of a TPAC:

1) AC8
    2) AC64
    3) AC33

Am I missing anymore?

11. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want a special challenge try finding C availability on YVR-SYD-YVR....

12. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you are missing any direct flights, but there are lots more connection possibilities. Flight come in from PEK, PVG, HKG, ICN, NRT, SYD, HNL, KOA, OGG and ANC, plus AKL on NZ and I'm sure a bunch more *A flights that I'm not familar with. There will be people on every one of those flights that need to start/end in YYZ, even if their TPAC flight number doesn't.

13. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    my advice, look out for a good sale on WJ....honestly.

that said, i have found that space becomes available closer to the flight dates but summer is tighter than christmas as i have found in the past.

that said, even using points is not a great use given you could pick up a flight on WJ for just slightly more than the AC taxes a few weeks back. what are taxes these days on this route? Are they over 200 per yet? WJ had a sale for about 360 or so a/i. makes those 25000 miles used not very valuable.

14. yah I agree wait for a seat sale unless you can change it into a STAR alliance award. AC fees make an AC award ticket have very little value.