LA hotel for a weekend - recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by hpc, Aug 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello fellow travellers :)

I'm going to LA for a weekend (Fri-Sun) mid Sept. and was looking for hotel recommendations.
    Nothing fancy, just nice and not too expensive.
    Flying in and out of LAX, with arrival around noon, and departure late afternoon.

AND... (I know it's not an easy question) with less than 10 nights a year - is there any hotel bonus programs I would get any benefits from?

Thanks! :)

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where will you be going in the LA area? I know the LAX hotels best, but there are a lot of options.

eponymous_coward, uggboy and hpc like this.
  3. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Near LAX would be fine :)

uggboy likes this.
  4. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Four Points Sheraton at LAX is often quite cheap, and it's not a bad hotel. Check http://www.starpicks.com. (It's not on this week's specials, but next Tuesday, a new list. Keep in mind, if you go this route: non-refundable.)

hpc and eponymous_coward like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm What you want to do in LA? (Traffic sucks ... so closer to your primary reason, the better)
    WIll you be renting a Car? (LAX Hotels charge quite a bit for parking ... if you stay a little bit away from LAX the parking is usually free)
    Any loyalty programs we should be aware about?

hpc and viguera like this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, hard to make recommendations without knowing your goals. That being said, I can vouch for Andaz WeHO and Hyatt House LAX. Sheraton LAX Gateway is okay but nothing exciting.

hpc and eponymous_coward like this.
  7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are a Marriott Rewards member, you might check your account for the fall MegaBonus promo...you could get a couple of stays and earn a free night. Please let us know what you plan to do while in LA, whether you'll have a car, etc. There are lots of great choices in the basin, but which one is best for your situation depends on the above. Do you qualify for any discounts (AAA, Senior, Government, etc.)?

hpc and viguera like this.
  8. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I don't have any plans for the weekend yet.
    My plan is to get around using public transport - is it a bad idea?
    I would like to stay within reasonable distance to the beach, and because of the price difference probably not near Santa Monica Beach :)
    But a bit south of Santa Monica would be nice (unless the area is not nice?)

I'm not up for planning alot ahead, but like to see where a city takes me :) Seightseeing suggestions are welcomed!

Loyalty programs: Delta SkyMiles, and open for hotel programs as well.

No discounts (that I know of) ;-)

Thank you for spending your time!

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    the MTA here in LA ... while decent for getting to/from DTLA & etc. For Tourist I would rather avoid. That being said if that is your plan... look for hotels south of LAX (Hyatt Place El Segundo) because that is near the beach & near the Green Line.
    Unfortunately the public transportation light rail line is not extended to SM Beach yet ... give it 2-3yrs. South of SM is ... Venice? Venice is nice but again no real public transportation unless you're talking bus... (I only use the train here in LA)

The MTA Red Line does drop you off in Hollywood, while all lines converge into DTLA. Blue line drops you off in Long Beach. So If you're okay w/Hollywood & LongBeach ... it might work

hpc likes this.
  10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the Four Points LAX -- often very reasonably priced and has great beers -- you can hop the Ocean Express shuttle to Manhattan Beach: http://www.fourpointslax.com/lax-parking.

Also, the Los Angeles Conservancy has downtown walking tours on Saturday mornings, if you're interested in a bit of history or architecture. Have the hotel shuttle take you to the airport to catch the Metro to downtown. https://www.laconservancy.org/events-tours/walking-tours

If you were interested in getting hotel points through credit cards, you might consider applying for the Starwood American Express prior to your trip, then earning a few more Starpoints in L.A., and having enough points for your next getaway. They have a partnership now with Delta, so this might be the best hotel plan for your travel patterns.

hpc likes this.
  11. RandyRenaud

RandyRenaud New Member

Status Points:
    Even I was looking for some nice options to stay at LA.Those were really some good suggestions. Thanks for the help of the contributors.

hpc likes this.
  12. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on your suggestions, I decided not to rely on public transportation. So I found a nice decent hotel just south of LAX with free breakfast + wifi + parking + car rent Friday-Sunday for a very reasonable price :)

Now I'm just looking forward to see LA!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

edekba likes this.
  13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how it goes and what you end up doing. Have a great weekend. L.A is hard for people to get to know sometimes, but there's so much available once you get a bit familiar with things.

hpc likes this.
  14. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I will :)
    Looking forward to get to know LA...