LA Cyclists to race JetBlue 405 Carmageddon flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jaw_24, Jul 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:

If anyone wants to follow a good ol' multimodal race this weekend -
    http://www.bikecommutenews.com/2011/07/los-angeles-cyclists-to-race-jet-blue.html
    (USA Today story as well)
    A group of cyclings in L.A. are going to race the infamous JetBlue 405 fwy flight. Of course, it's not just flight time, but also security and transit to/from airports, so it should be pretty close. JetBlue apparently jumped on board and offered a blogger a seat on the flight so he's going to be racing directly against the cycling pack. My vote's on the pack.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My money is on the bike... even if you add the added distance/time it takes to get to the airport, and even though it's only 30 miles, you can't get around airport delays on the ground.

It's often quicker for me to drive the 150 miles from my house to Philadelphia than it would be to drive to the airport and fly there.

3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same from Houston to Dallas, and that's 250 miles.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in the next town over from you and concur.

BWI is an interesting destination for us in that it is essentially the same time whether you go by train, plain or car. 3.5-4 hours each way.

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cyclists won decisively... they had covered 35 miles before the airplane had even left the ground, and even without blowing any lights or supposedly breaking any laws, and in spite the fact that the A320 covered the distance in 12 minutes, it was a decisive victory for the bikes.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/bike-v-jet-los-angeles-or-bust/011522