LA: Beverly Hilton or W Westwood?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by unavaca, Jan 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to be in the UCLA area for a weekend. I'm trying to decide between the Beverley Hilton as a HH Gold or the W Westwood as an SPG Gold.

Thoughts?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The W Westwood is much closer to UCLA and in a nice and fun area. I've never stayed there, but it seems to be well regarded. As a SPG Gold, you are entitled to a 4 pm checkout, which can be a huge benefit depending on your schedule, but Hilton benefits at their Gold level are generally better.

unavaca likes this.
  3. djsoulglo

djsoulglo Active Member

Status Points:
    Definitely go with the W. It is indeed much closer to UCLA and in a much better neighborhood. The W has a cool, modern design and a decent hotel bar which gets lively at night. The Beverly Hilton is on a busy intersection in Beverly Hills and seems to be filled only with old people (like, 80+ old). Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I've never stayed at either (I live near both), but I would direct all family (except for my great grandparents) and friends choosing between the two to the W.

No offense if you are 80+ and/or are my great grandparents.

Kalboz and unavaca like this.
  4. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    The W's neighborhood is, as has been observed, much more convenient and pleasant and has bettershops and restaurants. I really dislike the dark, dismal-feeling hotel, amd the need to deal with the people who just come to hang out in the bar. (If you like bars, I suppose that's a plus.)

The Beverly Hilton isn't trendy, but it's light and bright. I think as a Gold, you'd get the fabulous restaurant breakfast. That said, it's a hike to the nearby mall or anything else.

For me, a business traveler with no leisure time, I want mainly a hotel (as opposed to a cool experience), so I'd go for the Beverly Hilton.

unavaca likes this.
  5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have an email for a manager or concierge at the Beverly Hills Hilton?