L Concourse at ORD

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kw335, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just out of my curiosity- why does AA still use the L concourse at ORD? It looks quite dated, not well-lit, and just a dump in general. I know most AA Connection flights typically fly out of this concourse- but I was flying to STL last night and it left out of L8 (inbound aircraft from MIA).

2. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that they need the gates.

3. planecrashlaw
    Original Member

planecrashlaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    My last LHR flight went out of there. And it was the last flight out. Plenty of emply gates in H/K that time of night--including the ones just outside the FL. But there was one PAX with a bad leg, so we all hitched a ride on the cart.
    No excuse IMO.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The L concourse was utilized more fully by Delta before it cut back some service and then moved to Terminal 2 after the merger with Northwest. That's probably why it looks a bit like Terminal L has been abandoned with all it's empty gates, lackluster concessions, and bare walls.

That being said I agree with abk, AA is a huge airline at ORD and needs some gate space. Being ORD-based I have used the L gates a few times. Mostly smaller destinations but I have left for Delhi on a 777 there as well.

Keep in mind AA isn't the only carrier to currently use the L gates either. Alaska departs from here, and I think Spirit does as well (not sure on that one....). When Virgin America starts service, they'll be doing so from the L concourse as well.

Maybe the new tenant will help spruce things up around there a bit? :)

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight ORD-STL last night was scheduled out of L, but was switched to K10 before I left the Flagship Lounge. I did hear the lounge angels announce the London flight boarding at L-8, and that they had a cart to take anybody who wanted a ride over there.

6. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's silly to me that the FL is so far away from some of the gates used for international flights (read: L gates). I've neither seen nor used the executive centre between the terminal and the H/K AC, but I do think the ORD FL needs an update anyway (more than just ovens), and it would be in a more convenient location were it co-located with the AC. I say move it to the floor below the H/K AC, and if an executive centre is really that necessary, move it out to K19.

7. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I totally agree. My last international flight left out of L8 and it was a solid 20 minute walk from the FL to the gate... and rather than being refreshed when I boarded, I was sweaty. Ick.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Add me to the list with techgirl for people who are on board with moving/updating the FL. Being ORD based I've always had some issues with it. I've only had 1 international flight leave from L concourse, so I haven't been too put out by the distance, but the size of the lounge really puzzles me. How can you relax when you're fighting for a seat as soon as you get through the door? The current offering is a bit underwhelming to say the least.

Microwave likes this.
  9. YailBloor

YailBloor Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess I am in the minority, as I would like to stretch my legs before (and after) a long flight.

10. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe AA should provide a couple of "golf-carts" for the distant gates.

11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FL to L8 at ORD is definitely a bit of a walk. Sort of primes you for the lounge-to-gate 46 trek you'll have at heathrow on the return :).
    On occasion, the staff at the FL are able to arrange a cart. I've used it once or twice on later LHR flights. & see Genmac's example above.

As for space, moving/relocating/expanding the FL, IIRC, it's a lease issue...something about they've got that space leased for a bit longer,but may look at options for when their lease for that particular space is up.

12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everything is negotiable.

13. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA have the space between the concourse level and the H/K AC (currently used as the executive centre) and the space at the end of the K concourse (currently the FL); I'm simply suggesting swapping the spaces. I doubt Mayor Daley would mind if AA swapped uses for the spaces.

14. roundo
    Original Member

roundo Active Member

Status Points:
    No way!. The Executive Center produces income, and I'll bet a profit (as does the AC) . I've used it for meetings. The FL is an amenity. The FL space would be too small and there is more room in the EC than is justified or needed for the FL.

15. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't doubt the revenue potential of either space's current use. However, in all honesty you're the first person I've ever interacted with that has used the executive centre. Further, if the FL didn't at least add as much to AA's bottom line as it costs to operate, I'm reasonably certain the bean counters at AMR would have axed it (à la DFW FL, BOS FL, etc.); while the same may be true for the executive centre, I'd selfishly like to see the FL move to a more central location with nearby showers and more space. ;)

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've been EXP with AA for two years now and am in and out of ORD all the time, and I didn't even know there was an Executive Centre until someone mentioned it here. :)

Microwave likes this.
  17. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    If BA would move departures over to T3 to Join AA, IB, and JL (Hopefully CX this fall) there could be motivation to built out a new FL or expand the current FL up one level.

18. roundo
    Original Member

roundo Active Member

Status Points:
    With 22 meeting rooms at the ORD Executive Center renting for from $70 to $90 per hour (depending on room seating)(more for non-AC members), they obviously generate revenue on their own and AA insiders tell me that they (and the AC program bring in revenue greater than the direct costs.

I don’t see that the same can be said for the FL, although both programs are necessary to maintain the AA standing as a top tier airline.

I do hear that the meeting rooms have taken a hit with the growth of Webinars and Teleconferencing. The same is happening with hotel meeting rooms. I personally have experienced it both as a meeting planner and attendee.

Here is the info on the Executive Centers which are a part of the Clubs at ORD, DFW-C and LGA.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like you are both saying the same thing: The Executive Center is profitable for AA. :)