L.A. Restaurant Charges $20 for Bottle of Water on Pricey New Water Menu

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Aug 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifesty...for-bottle-of-water-on-pricey-new-water-menu/

Ray’s and Stark Bar, a restaurant located inside the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, has introduced an exclusive water menu featuring bottled waters from around the world, all curated by the nation’s first ever water sommelier.

The water menu was introduced last month. It was created by the restaurant’s general manager and water sommelier, Martin Riese, and features 20 sparkling and still brands from 12 different countries.
    The menu on the restaurant’s website describes the waters in varying degrees of sweet, salty, smooth and complex, and the brands vary in price.

Iskilde, a still water from Denmark, costs $12 per one-liter bottle. Badoit, a sparkling water from France, costs $8 per .75 liter-bottle. This water was said to pair “well with sweet wine and cheese,” according to the menu.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifesty...for-bottle-of-water-on-pricey-new-water-menu/

Jimgotkp, Kalboz, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  2. I should send them a sample of Nothern Alberta water untouched by humans in any manner. :) maybe they could sell it at $25 a bottle. There is also iceberg water that gets hived off as they pass close to Newfoundland. No wonder I never stayed in California longer than I had to:eek:

Jimgotkp, uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like many of these waters on offer. A fantastic list, people must see water as precious and something which can be paired with fine food too, it's great that they also offer a water sommelier, as water goes sometimes well beyond of being "just" a refreshment.

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article doesn't mention any corkage fee for walking in with an unfinished bottle of Evian, or if the restaurant still offers draught water in addition to the bottled variety (for the unenlightened patrons).

There an immediate need to create a certification program for water sommeliers; we can't allow just anyone to declare themselves "an expert" on water/food pairing. I would totally pay double for water rated 91 by the Water Enthusiast Magazine over something rated as low as 87, but the rating must be developed by certified experts.

iolaire, Muerl, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm perfectly content with a glass of LA's finest on the rocks. I would rather spend my money on food and drink free water.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd skip that water menu!

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bottled luxury water is now one of the fasted growing segments in the upscale beverage industry, worldwide.

Jimgotkp, Gaucho and Kalboz like this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    At $20 a bottle, I need to change professions.

Introducing "eau froide Sobore" from le kitchen, Illinois! only $15 per bottle.

[​IMG]

LizzyDragon84 and uggboy like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhhh! Getting there. Only $15 a bottle, a bargain. :D

sobore likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    $12 a bottle for Milepoint members, but you have to act fast!

uggboy likes this.
  11. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what amazes me about this is that they charge $9 for a bottle of Saratoga Springs water. I drank that for 2 summers at skidmore, you would need to pay me at least $9 to drink it again. It tastes like sulphur ...

Though I suppose that actually is a "complicated" taste.

uggboy likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article seems to suggest that the concept is unique or new .. it aint folks.:)

I am pretty sure that there must be a number of high end establishments worldwide that provides this feature.

I first encountered this on my first dining experience at Heinz Beck's two Michellin starred restaurant " La Pergola" on top floor of the (Hilton) Cavalieri, Rome as far back as 2004.
    The water menu listed 50 plus available selections.

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to visit Michelin starred restaurants either to find a fabulous water selection, we've encountered a Worldwide Water Bar @ Dublin Airport a few years ago, but this Bar has been discontinued, also we had a water menu at the Rey Juan Carlos I Hotel in Barcelona and there's a international water selection available at El Corte Ingles Madrid store @ Calle Serrano at their gourmet section.

On the other side, a few days ago we had 0.75 L Aqua Panna bottled water bought @ the Conad supermercado in Florence, located near the Ponte Vecchio for 0.45 Euro cents / 0. 55 US cents per bottle. :)

iolaire and newbluesea like this.
  14. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bet Griffin Mill is a regular.

15. scubadiver

scubadiver Active Member

Status Points:
    Penn and Teller did a segment of their show "Bullsh1t" with a water sommelier and various fake bottles of designer water - all filled from the hose behind the restaurant. Worth a watch.

16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed..... now we all understand why huge MNC's like Nestle, Danone and others went on a massive water shopping spree a good 7/8 years ago.

uggboy likes this.