KVS Tool for 64-bit Windows 7 users?

Discussion in 'KVS' started by IMH, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone managed to get the KVS scraper tool to run without errors (other than in an "XP mode" VM)?

2. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm running KVS on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit: No problems whatsoever !

3. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I've got the same OS version as you but consistently have problems with two kinds of search:

Amadeus/M&M searches fail with:
    Amadeus/QF searches bomb out with:
    Both searches work fine in a VM.

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a bug. Did you already report it to KVS?

5. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course. (I'm not in the habit of posting questions on public forums without taking more obvious steps first ;) ).

Going down that route didn't bring an explanation or solution. So I wondered whether anyone else had run into the same problems and been able to solve them, or if the error messages I have been getting are familiar to people using other operating systems.

6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    The errors you see should not be related to your OS, although the tool is using very old version of redistributable MSINET.OCX and that might cause some issues on 64 bit platform.

7. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, vbroucek. I had been thinking that it might be a problem with some ancient OLE object/library, but that doesn't make much sense in the light of Rambuster's report. Maybe one has to be SEN+ or above. ;)

Rambuster likes this.
  8. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    YGM!

9. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting to see a public forum post eliciting an email response to a rather old service ticket.

No solution as yet, though. I'll update here if that changes. Until then, input from anyone who can shed light on the error messages quoted above is still welcome.

10. I don't use this tool, but its very common for folks to have the exact same OS and System and have different issues.

If it works in XP compatibility mode, its probably not a bug.
    If it works sometimes, its probably the server or internet. Especially if its a different message at different times.

11. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    The original ticket has been responded to. The follow-up was actually prompted by a combination of factors, including Rambuster's confirmation, our own testing of the Tool in a 64-bit environment, one of vbroucek's theories, and the availability of updated system components from Microsoft.

12. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    It strikes me as unlikely that Rambuster and vbroucek would have commented on this if my posting hadn't started this thread.

It's good that KVS followed up with me and provided access to two tweaked versions. But they didn't solve the problem and currently the OS is getting the blame.

13. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't you love if software developers blame underlying OS for their own problems?
    When it is fixed, there will be new pitch line on KVSTools site: "While the KVS Tool is a native Windows application, it has been specifically designed to be 64bit Windows friendly" :D

IMH likes this.
  14. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    We mustn't forget that it's only been a little over two years since public betas of Windows 7 were made available. ;)

In fairness, though, if the installation base for a particular combination of application + OS is small, there won't be many reports of problems. We also have to assume that there is some relevant different between Rambuster's installation and mine -- but there's no easy way for KVS to see what that might be.

15. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you install KVS, it asks you where you want to put redistributables - in system folder or in program folder (KVS calls it portable installation which I actuall consider laughable, because it is not portable at all, since the registration code is tied to actual hadware). That might be the difference between the two of you. I can try to put it on 64 bit VM if necessary (I would have to build it because so far with exception of Adobe Suite CS5 I did not find software that would warrant or needed running 64 bit for me), but since this is payware, why should we be debugging it?

16. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    That question should be directed to Microsoft, as the "payware" in question, which needs debugging, is Windows itself.

17. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Come one, you cannot be serious. I really had much higher opinion about you. All my servers here are Windows Server 2008 R2, hence 64 bit and I am yet to see single problem.

18. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've tried it both ways.

A generous offer. Thanks. But, as you say, you're not the one taking payment for this.

Maybe we'll get more data points when MiPo 'goes public' and there are more KVS users here.

That sounds as though you know more about the causes of the problems reported above than you've shared with us so far. Telling us more might help us make progress with the troubleshooting exercise. Or is your technical support team promising a solution soon?

19. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, we do not have any specific information as to which bugs (or system component corruptions) in Windows would be causing this. What we have been able to confirm, is that there are no issues within the KVS Tool itself.

BTW, do you have any 3-rd party anti-virus/firewall software installed on that machine?
    Could you post the results of the Internet Connection Test (located under the Tools menu button)?

20. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, but nothing that's caused any problems for a couple of dozen other applications that access the internet.

Code:
    [AltaVista.com - HTTP]
    OK

[Scroogle.com - HTTPS]
    OK

[KVSTool.com - HTTP GET]
    OK

[KVSTool.com - HTTP POST]
    OK

21. KVS Tool

Status Points:
    Could you temporarily disable them all and try again?

22. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Done. Same error messages as before. Note also that the same firewall and antivirus apps are protecting the VM, where we don't see the same errors.

23. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    KVS would appear to have lost interest in fixing this.

I can report, however, that following an uninstall the program is no longer causing any problems.

vbroucek likes this.
  24. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You forgot the rest of the pitch, "F;)r an additional fee."

vbroucek likes this.
  25. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, he already has your m;)ney.