Kudos to US Airways: Great Customer Service for Canceling Changed Award Itinerary

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Mike Reed, Oct 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short version: After having grabbed an elusive LH J booking using US miles for my wife and I to ZRH, a 10m schedule change happened on the outbound flights and US Air allowed me to cancel with no redeposit fee. This returned the 200K miles to my account and didn't cost me $150 per person, saving me $300.

Long version: I broke my leg in three places on October 10th. I'm required to be six weeks non-weight bearing before I can start transitioning weight back onto the leg, etc. The full transition back to normal may well take 10-12 weeks.

While my wife and I enjoy international travel (especially around the holidays since it's also our anniversary and because she's a teacher so time off is very structured), hobbling through Zurich on a bad foot - especially in ice/snow and the footwear that requires - wasn't ideal.

I'm not any status at all on US, and only CP get redeposit fees waived, so I was dependent on waiting for a schedule change to try and broker that for a free cancelation. This one was only 10 minutes and didn't affect our connection time at all, but I gave it a shot.

First call, first agent, "Yes sir, that will be no problem." I didn't mention the leg, or needing the cencelation anyway - just the schedule change.

Miles, refunded.
    Ticketing fees and taxes, refunded.
    Fees, zero.
    Hassle, zero.

If this is what I should expect from US Airways customer service, that's great.

MX and daninstl like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feel better!

Mike Reed likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great experience, Mike, thanks for sharing! Now, if other airlines would only take note...

Mike Reed likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will second your kudos. I had my wife and I booked to HKG on a Star Alliance award ticket using US Air miles. There was a minor time change. I just had to cancel the flight due to some personal schedule problems and US Air cancelled and did a refund of the points and fees with no major questions. Nice.
    I kinda wonder what happens to award seats like that when someone cancels. Do they go back to award availability or move over to revenue seats? Hmmm?

Newscience and Mike Reed like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the operating carrier. Based in load they could end up in any bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear US Airways proved so accommodating! A no-hassle encounter like that with an airline has got to have feeling better already, mentally if not physically. If only all customer service could be so good...

Newscience and Mike Reed like this.
  7. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone once in a while US Airways does something right. Unfortunately, that's the exception vs. the norm. I was scheduled on DEN to CLT flight that was cancelled immediately prior to our departure time because the pilot was unfit to fly and a replacement wasn't available. It was the last flight out and was re-booked on a flight the following morning. Although US Airways was at fault for the cancellation (not ATC, not weather, not God, etc.), they offered us nothing. Whether is was your first trip on US Airways or you had Chairman Status, first class or coach ticket, we were rudely informed that "it's US Airways' policy not to provide any type of compensation or accommodation for a cancelled flight, even if it's our fault" - direct quote from gate agent. I pulled some clothes out of my suitcase, fashioned a pillow and blanket, and spent the night in the airport.

ballardFlyer likes this.