Kudos to United - catching them doing things right

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by brfong, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am opening this thread for us to share the stories of and to bring recognition to United employees doing things right.

Although, the merger with CO and the integration on 3/3 have generated a lot of passionate debate, there must be a lot of good things happening within United.

So, who will be the first to share?

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's see:

1) I've gotten everywhere I was supposed to get. Sure, a couple of delays, but nothing substantial and no missed flights.
    2) I've gotten miles.
    3) I've gotten upgrades.
    4) I have status.
    5) I've gotten great service over the phone.

My standing whinge is all about special meals (but it would be), and of course I'd love lower fares and better schedules for my own travel patterns. As a bonus, I wish *A had better routing to PPT from SFO. I'd also like a pony. Not just any pony. A blue one. (start at 3:40 into the video)

misman, mht_flyer, YULtide and 4 others like this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll go. I've had generally very good trips over the past three months, with some standouts.
    • A few weeks ago I arrived at DCA for my DCA-ORD-MLI trip. Soon after I cleared security and arrived at the gate, an announcement was made that my flight was going to be delayed at least 90 minutes due to a late arriving aircraft from ORD. However, an earlier DCA-ORD flight had gone mechanical and was leaving soon, approximately 4-5 hours late. All of the passengers on that flight had been rebooked to earlier flights. The gate agent made an announcement that they were going to board the delayed flight soon, and for anyone who was already at the gate for a later ORD flight to come see her at the door. She quickly rebooked, in Shares, about 15 of us to the flight that was about to leave. Her average time to process each passenger was maybe 30-40 seconds, if even that. No complaints about the system, no needing to call for help – she just did it, with a smile, reissuing each ticket, and getting elites added to the upgrade list, and then processing upgrades, until all 8 seats on the 319 were full. Unfortunately I was about number 12 in line, and she couldn't get me in F, but that was fine. There were maybe 20 people total on the entire plane. This was a sUA gate agent, so, yes, rebooking can be done quickly in Shares, without a lot of issues, by sUA agents, despite claims to the contrary.
    • Incredible crew on my IAH-DCA flight, operated by sCO, last Friday. They were super friendly, cheerful, and the lady working F never let anyone's drink glass get less than half full.
    • This past Monday, my very early morning DCA-ORD flight was delayed with a ground stop after leaving the gate, due to thunderstorms at ORD. The crew handled the situation very well, comping DirecTV for the flight, communicating constantly with updates, passing through both cabins with a full drink service twice while we were stuck on the ground, which included a return to the gate for more fuel after a reroute was going to put us at risk of having too little fuel. This was a sCO flight, which departed from a sUA gate, but returned to a sCO gate. After we returned to the gate, a sCO gate agent came on board with a list of passengers who would definitely miss their connections and asked if they wanted to go ahead and get rebooked, to come up to the gate with her for rebooking. The passenger seated next to me was headed to DFW via ORD and was quickly rebooked to a new flight via IAH, getting him on his way less than 20 minutes later. Many of us, myself included, had connections at risk, but were connecting to other delayed flights that we might still be able to make. In my case, I didn't make my connection, but it was very close. Overall, the flight crew and ground crew at DCA handled the situation very well, keeping everyone as comfortable and informed as possible.

misman, mht_flyer, FlyingFree and 3 others like this.
  4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean there are people who actually have good experiences on UA? I thought the sky was falling, UA hated passengers (especially elites) and everyone was mad etc etc etc.

OK, sarcasm switch off, good to see someone start a thread like this. I was thinking about it myself but don't have any UA flights until late June and July. (Hopefully this thread wont be hijacked by the haters and some positive stories can get out there for all to hear.)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to report my positive experiences with United today (Sure there was some hassle involved but that's entirely my fault for doing SDC changes to my itinerary but it worked out in the end).

• Honolulu 1K Agent went above & beyond and allowed me to change a MIA-IAH-POS to MIA-EWR-POS when the routing rules clearly did not allow for this. (Took 2 calls to get this accomplished).
    • ICC Web Support recognized that all of my flights had R available and that my ticket was out of sync so they went in and manually upgraded me for all four segments (MIA-EWR-POS-IAH-MIA).
    I wrote in to United and commended that service was improving since 3/3 and that while the ICC gets a bad rap this agent and the supervisor went above and beyond for this customer.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew from LAX to MEL in BusinessFirst for 14+ hr, with an empty seat next to me all the way but never an empty glass because of some very responsive FAs, who dutifully refilled my Johnnie Black on the rocks to help me sleep...:) .

misman, Flyer1976 and FlyingFree like this.
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had 3 great Asia flights in GF and BF in May. If it wasn't for the boarding mess and the worn out 737 between HKG and SIN, it was all just like old times ;)

misman likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I get what's promised, just nothing more, and still more than most people. But I have to deal with people like the university librarian yesterday, who when I asked for help pointed me to the computer and told me it's not her job. I certainly hope it won't be for long, but my campus has an aversion to firing people. :rolleyes: My standards are low.

9. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this thread! Among the things I’m happy about:

-The merger combined my CO and UA accounts to make me a Million Miler – I never have to take a mileage run again (unless I want to!)
    -This also made my SO a *A Gold. Vastly increases the chance that we’ll both be upgraded when seats are available.

-I was able to book what many consider to be the Holy Grail of award tickets: DEN-SFO-SYD-MEL-LAX-DEN in Global First for our 2013 holiday.
    -No Starnet blocking, as far as I can tell.

-Appreciate knowing my upgrade chances by checking out the United mobile app.
    -Had an exceptional FA SMF-DEN, who lit up when I thanked her for taking such good care of us, and apologized for all the grumpy/clueless flyers who take out their frustrations on FA’s. (She kept my glass full of dietCoke-I’m low maintenance in the air!)

Of course, nothing is perfect. Do I wish I still earned 100% bonus miles? YES. Would I do anything – including paying good money – to guarantee a tasty vegetarian meal available on all of my flights? YES. Do I wish I was upgraded more frequently? YES. But on the whole, and given the overall state of the US airline industry, I’m a reasonably happy camper…

misman and desamo like this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That will be our family in December but fortunately be causing of timing we are continuing on on SQ. Got the seats we wanted. Took a while but it worked out.

11. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has made updates to their mobile apps to include a feature called Outperform Recognition where you can provide feedback on quality folks who go above and beyond. It's a good thing.™

brfong, desamo, LizzyDragon84 and 3 others like this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to derail this thread but since when did United start serving Johnnie Black? :confused:

13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't seen that in the update until you mentioned it. That's great!

Flyer1976, desamo and tommy777 like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they do not, then just replace Johnnie with whatever whiskey they serve and the idea stays the same because I could not tell you whether they serve Remy or Hennessy when I have asked for cognac. ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.