Kudos to Delta-They Make Good ...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Art234, Dec 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This past Monday I had to be in CLT for a 2PM meeting, then proceed on to MIA for another series of meetings. I booked DL from JFK as the times were closest (most know my history with US but that's another story).

DL kept texting or emailing that the flight was on time, despite JFK having heavy fog. Once I arrived at the gate, however, my 8:55AM departure was now showing 12:55! Not good. I proceeded to the Sky Club, where it had now slipped to 1:55...and as I was waiting to speak to the agent, it slipped to 2:33PM!
    I had been checking FlightAware while waiting on line, and it showed the inbound actually arriving on time, but what I didn't know was that they had pulled that inbound aircraft to operate a different flight.

Once I got to the agent, he told me the only choice was to go to LGA, and go through ATL, but I'd still not arrive until 3PM...and I'd likely not have enough time with traffic to make the flight. I asked about the US flight leaving JFK at noon, and he politely said they couldn't book on another airline because the delay was due to weather. I asked very nicely if there was anyone who could override that, especially because the delay was now 5 and a half hours and it could become a trip in vain, and he asked the senior agent, who also declined to sign me over to US.

I thanked them for their time, and decided to book the US flight on my own and deal with it later. I called the client and moved the meeting to 3:15, and took the AirTrain to Terminal 7 at JFK. The US gatehouse was a zoo, but we got out within 10 minutes of schedule and actually arrived right on time...

That night I wrote a detailed email to Delta Customer Service, pointing out the extensive delay as well as the fact that the inbound aircraft was pulled from the CLT flight to operate another route. Having little expectation of receiving a reply before the end of my trip, I woke up the following morning to find an email from Delta!! The CSA understood my points, told me they would address the issue with the agents in JFK for poor service, and told me they would be refunding me the JFK-CLT leg!!! In addition they offered a generous pile of miles...I was very surprised to say the least.

I DID write back to correct their perception of the Sky Club agents--I said they did nothing wrong, and were VERY helpful, just unable to book me on the US flight since the original reason was weather..and I did receive a prompt reply that my correction would be noted.

Yesterday I found extra miles in my account, AND an email confirming a refund had been processed on my behalf by Delta!!! Oh...and ALL upgrades on the remainder of the trip miraculously cleared, including CLT-ATL at the gate!!! :)

Now THAT is customer service!!!

2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    glad things worked out for you!

3. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    the skyclub agents are great. i wonder if they can help me book an award ticket......

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was that short-lived jingle line?
    'Good goes around?'
    Made your slightly-rescheduled meeting, got the DL outbound portion refunded, got first-class coming home. Good went around :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfQwpF_pMr0

5. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't that be great, but most of the SCs have signs that say the agents are available to help with same day travel only.

David

6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is great to hear this! I am glad that DL is finally re-asserting what they were once known for -- Customer Service!

I do wish they'd give a bit more leeway to SC agents, however. The reason I suggest this is that they have great customer service skills, usually are very knowledgeable, and are normally dealing with premium customers who DL should WANT to be a BIT more generous to!

Dave

7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just an update, yesterday the refund actually posted to my Amex!!!!