Krogers - 4x gas points for GC

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by savingrace, Mar 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had no idea where to post this. But I just went grocery shopping at City Market (Krogers), and noticed that they were giving 4x points for buying gift cards. The visa and amex cards had a $5.95 fee, but merchant cards had no fee.

To try it out, I bought $100 amazon GC. So I get 400 extra gas points, which is 40 cents per gallon on my next fill-up. Thats a good chunk of change when filling up our truck.

And it will help me meet my spend on my amex gold leap day 75,000 mr points which has a $2500 per month spend for four months. (I just jumped in on this deal, sure they would turn me down...:rolleyes:.)

As always, there are better ideas out there concerning GC's, but this was quick and easy, and I can enter my Amazon GC to be used later. I have five GC's with varying amounts on them, and want to avoid this.

Clocktower and daemon14 like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long is this good for? Chase Freedom has 5x at grocery stores starting April 1.

3. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, I just heard them announce it over the speakers while I was at the store. Chase 5x would be a nice double-dip

4. Dr Rumack
    Original Member

Dr Rumack Silver Member

Status Points:
    The dates vary by region, but generally through the first week in April. I'm heading over with my AmEx Blue Cash 6% grocery store card. $250 in gift cards earns $1.00 off per gallon.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    At Dillons, the Kroger affiliate here in Kansas, the signs tonight say the special is March 14 - April 10. ( I wonder if it may be tied in with Easter ????)

Was kind of interesting, a few days ago I bought a $25 restaurant gift card there. It was the 14th, which I now find was the first day of the promo. Nobody said anything about 4x points instead of the usual 2x, and there were no signs on that. On the way out of the store I noticed my receipt gave me 100 fuel points rather than the expected 50. So I asked the young woman on duty at the self-checkout, and she had no idea why. "I guess you just got lucky," she said. I asked again, to confirm the staff had not been briefed on any special, and she said no.

I really like these occasional 4x promos, but they really should do a better job of educating their employees about them!