Kralev article on AA's Executive Platinum status match of United 1Ks

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In response to the defections, United is increasing capacity in the Houston and Chicago Re-Education Centers.

wcalvert, unavaca, FlyingBear and 8 others like this.
  3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I put in for a status match, and I'll give it whirl on a couple upcoming transcons. Very interested to see how the soft product matches up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    This article has so many inaccuracies I don't know where to begin.

AA has the best first class soft product?. Barf.

unavaca, mht_flyer, DCA1K and 2 others like this.
  5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure who Kralev is (should I know?), but he could use a proofreader, fact checker, and a course in objective journalism...

6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I don't know. There are a few errors, but on the whole he seems to have done his homework pretty well. And he's sensitive to some issues the average travel writer isn't, e.g.,

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    He used to be a travel beat writer for the Washington Times and also had a White House beat back in the day, giving him much of his travel experience. He's written a book about how to complain to the airlines "correctly" and other vaguely (but not really) useful stuff.

And he is definitely in need of objectivity if he's going to claim that he's writing as a journalist. He's been hating on UA pretty much since the merger.

NYCUA1K, desamo, EWR764 and 1 other person like this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A by-line from the Washington Times is certainly not a good start in that direction.

To be fair, there are plenty of people who would say that that is an objective viewpoint.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really hate to defend Kralev but really he is less inaccurate than he is misleading, as in comparing OW status levels with *A when he's discussing mostly domestic US issues. soft product discussions end out being quite subjective, and his "facts" exclude quite a lot. After listening to a poor UA junior exec being hounded by irate MPers at FTU last weekend just after AA swept the Freddies I gather that the majority of MP and FTers probably would agree that AA domestic is superior to UA domestic. The details are another story entirely.

Kralev is hardly credible for me, especially after i wasted time and money on his bizarrely useless book. That is another story...

TheTravelAbstract, Gaucho and desamo like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    (bolding me)

Is he?

And journalists don't necessarily and by definition always write objectively, I think. What about columnists? Wasn't his "On The Fly" series in the Washington Times a column, for example? I'd call his story we discuss here a blog post, and he is certainly not the only blogger accused bias ;-)

And since we're discussing accuracy here in this thread...

A quick look at Kralev's LinkedIn profile reveals no White House beat reference. I think you may have been thinking of his "diplomatic correspondent" role (ie State Department beat?).

Chuckle... Yes. But he was diplomatic correspondent and business travel columnist. While I never really read his work back then (or now), I am not sure that I'd necessarily use this to judge his current and future work. Looking at his LinkedIn profile, he also worked for the FT and other news orgs, BTW.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an amusing description of a work I have not read. Just quoting because I enjoy the description.

I don't necessarily agree that discussing Star and OW status levels alongside domestic issues is misleading. They're all part of choosing between programs, and with AA trying to entice 1ks over, part of the package on-offer. The troubles with integration and domestic issues seem to have been a catalyst that has made some people more open to switching airlines, but whatever product is the better choice for them is going to be determined by the whole package.

Short version:
    AA is matching 1ks
    Some UA top elites are unhappy due to merger issues, prompting this.
    Kralev's opinion on benefits and drawbacks 1k vs. EXP
    Gripe against UA

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    He covers the state department / foreign service beat for the Washington Post, I believe. As a journalist of that caliber, I would expect that he would be more careful.

His statement = AA is the only airline that gives lines and menu's in first class = factually wrong.

He probably doesn't fly Delta. Though I do applaud his attempts to stretch his travel budget to cover his beat. Creative.

This ring back to my theory. Low dime flyers ought to move to AA, they will get more bang for the buck there.

jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    If Mr. Kralev would have interviewed me I would have told him the following:

- Unless you fly domestically or to South America/NRT/LHR, AA is pretty much useless to all other places. It works if you have the patience to let AA dictate your life, by spending the night at an airport somehwere, as opposed your destination.

- Unless you live in the cornerstone cities, AA is pretty much useless also. Though there are some people I know who live in SFO who switched. These people have the time and patience to go to LAX and connect, I do not.

- Even if you do live in he cornerstone cities, AA schedule is like a charter airline.

Example (NYC->Las Vegas)
    AA
    JFK-LAS. There are only two flights a day. One that leaves 7AM and another that leaves at 5PM.

UA
    EWR-LAS . 6 flights a day. 7:20AM, 8:45AM, 11:00AM, 5PM, 6:30PM, 8:45PM

DL - side note has 4 flights a day.

I fly when its convenient for me not when its convenient for AA's 2 flights a day schedule .I wont go into the schedule of the ORD-PEK flight on AA, which is downright ghetto. But I think I made my point. You can see this across the board. But I think the only place where this does not apply is DFW, but those people are flying AA already.

- I personally do not have the time or patience to be connecting in LHR, switching terminals. This affects the quality of my life.

People who switched (like Mr. Kralev) still think that the AA of today is the same as the AA of 1999. Its not.

NYCUA1K, Gaucho, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since we're apparently still complaining about people getting facts wrong: At least two things factually wrong in those two sentences:

He doesn't cover it anymore (hasn't for nearly two years, I believe), and he worked for the Washington Times.

meFIRST, jbcarioca and SpecialK like this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my previous experience of AA F compared to current experience of UA F, AA is indeed superior. Seats are more comfortable, ambiance in cabin much better, food incomparably better. Given UA's changes in catering of late, CO's management must have agreed.

Counsellor, jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I give Nick a lot of credit for covering in the Washington Times articles the practice of StarNet blocking that was undertaken by the pre merger United Airlines. I am glad that the merged CO-UA has adopted CO's award program where they do not block Star partner awards.

17. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does not yet have extra legroom seats which is a major - for them vs UA

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :oops:

Yeah, that's the one.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tough crowd here isn't it?

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kralev probably would think the same if he read this thread :)

(and no, I don't know him)

jbcarioca and meFIRST like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nor do I but I have a hard time thinking of him respectfully.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have a hard time thinking respectfully of that guy who's photo is glaring at me from the top of every MilePoint page at the moment.... But I'll be polite and not show up for the chat. ;-)

jbcarioca and Seacarl like this.
  23. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I'll do the same. It's pretty ballsy to try to profit from a book criticizing the government program you set up.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why not just close the banner then? Lowered my anger quotient quite a bit. :)

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doh! Because I never wanted to get my mouse cursor anywhere near that area? Thanks!

jbcarioca and DestinationDavid like this.