Krabi or Koh Samui?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by wcblack34, Jul 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day All!

I will be travelling to Thailand in October, and I am looking to stay in either Krabi or Koh Samui for 4 or 5 days. I'd like to know which you prefer and why!

I would also appreciate any advice you may have regarding train travel from Singapore to either destination.

Thanks in advance!

2. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not have advice traveling from Singapore, however I have been to Thailand and although I was unable to go to Krabi as I didn't have enough time I did stay in Koh Samui for a few days, which I found extremely relaxing! It was one of my favourite Islands in the South I visited, went to Koh Tao and Koh Phanghan also. Koh Samui was a lot more commercial however which does put some people off as they want something really traditional. It has hotels along the beach front where you can go get massages on the beach, the most beautiful beach, white sand and the clear crisp blue sea, walk for miles don't see a fish in sight.(which I like.. don't like fish swimming around my feet) They had lots of restaurants, some bars, markets in the day and night. It was a great place to unwind and relax, but it depends on what you would want from the Islands. I do wish I had gone to Krabi as some parts of it look very idyllic and peaceful. Koh Samui I guess can be regarded as a little 'livelier and busier' which I also enjoy because you can walk around and there's a lot of choice with things to do and see.

uggboy, Kalboz and wcblack34 like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thailand interactive weather map: just place your cursor on any location & you will get the weather for that local. 20 days of possible rain at both locations in October (but not raining all day).

Krabi is best traveled directly from Singapore by Tiger Airways (TR) which has 4 flights/week. For Samui, using either TG or PG you have to fly to BKK first and then to USM.

The Orient Express which is a very nice 5-star experience goes from Singapore to Bangkok through Southern Thailand (Krabi then Surathani). I have no experience in train travels in Thailand and I have never been to Singapore.
    [​IMG]
    Koh Samui​
    You may find some great hotel deals here: http://www.mygroupon.co.th/deals/travel_en/X2-Samui/717171440

Max M, wcblack34 and uggboy like this.
  4. cnproud

cnproud Active Member

Status Points:
    Check the weather. I believe it may still be higher chance of rain in Koh Samui in October. Krabi may be better. I like Koh Lanta (short boat ride from Krabi). Do a little research and go where the weather is best. October can be hit or miss.

wcblack34 and Kalboz like this.
  5. uweheldt

uweheldt Member

Status Points:
    October is actually not the best time for both but as already said, Samui in October is not the best option. Any chance to go there a month before / beginning of September? That should be a good mix of sun, clouds and a bit of rain.

Kalboz likes this.