Krabi > Koh Phi Phi > Phuket transport

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to do this on a budget, arriving Krabi airport early morning, wanting to head over to Phi Phi Don straight from the airport, spending a night on the island before heading to Phuket's Patong Beach for a few days.

What are the transportation options in terms of ferries/shuttle's available from airport to the pier, etc.

Thanks,
    --Russ

Kalboz likes this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a couple of years ago (2009) when i did something similar. There should be a shuttle van service that will take you to Mueang Krabi or the pier. I'd verify ferry times first though as it would suck to get to the pier and find your desired boat had already sailed.

Sorry, it was too long ago to remember the cost.

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Phi Phi by Julien Beytrison.
    The passenger ferry leaves from Klong Jilard Pier (Tel. 0 7562 0052) about 3 km outside KrabiTown to Koh Phi Phi. Free taxi/van transfer to the pier should be included in the price of your ticket. Often you will be taken to a travel agent near the Chao Fah Pier and hasseled into buying additional accommodations or services. Buy only what you need. The ferries depart Krabi pier twice daily: 9:00 am and 2:30 pm. The price is THB 450 each way, subject to change. From Koh Phi Phi the passenger ferry leaves from Tonsai pier at 9:00 am and 2:30 pm daily, taking 90 minutes and arriving at the ferry terminal in Koh Siray on Phuket. Tickets are purchased from a small booth on the lesser pier in front of the Tonsai village for THB 350.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, here's what we did...

Arrived Krabi Airport and took a direct shuttle bus to the Krabi Pier cost 90 Baht per person. Taxi was 350 Baht, so with 3+ people that's obviously a better choice.

The ferry to Koh Phi Phi from Krabi Pier was 400 Baht per person, they advertise it as 450 Baht with a 50 Baht discount, though everyone online mentioned it should be around 350 Baht.

From Phi Phi Don to either Krabi or Phuket is 250 Baht though some shops will try to charge 300 or 350 Baht, they pretty much all sell the same tickets for the same ferry, but the closer you go to Ton Sai Pier the more they want. Shop around.

You could also buy tickets for a shared minibus on PP for transfer from the pier to Patong Beach or other destinations at 150 Baht. Buy it so you avoid the wait, sadly we didn't.... once at the pier the taxi was 400 Baht or 150 Baht for shuttle bus a few hours later when the next ferry arrives.

I wanted to take the open bus, so ended up dragging my friend on a ten minute walk to the main road which she protested the entire way (Singaporeans are taxi spoiled, and I fundamentally hate taxis with a passion having worked in that industry for ten years) So we caught a pink open bus at 10 Baht each to the center of Phuket town and then jumped on a blue open bus to Patong Beach for 25 Baht each, while sight seeing along the way and getting friendly with locals.

As for hotels we stayed at Phi Phi Hotel at Ton Sai... when you dock at the pier the hotel is the first thing you see beyond the bungalows and shops along the beach. The hotel was fantastic and for $64 SGD all in a bargain! It was advertised as 3* but in reality felt better than the 4* hotel we stayed at on Patong Beach, which was also beyond my expectations. The Phuket hotel was Royal Paradise hotel and we got a fantastic corner room with 180 views of the mountains and a glimpse of the beach if you really wanted it... all for $40 USD a night.

Nearby the Royal Paradise we found a nice Thai massage parlor which did a full body thai massage for 200 Baht, it was my first time getting one and I don't see what the buzz is all about. But it was nice. Also in the same alley we found a really nice Thai restaurant that served Crab in curry sauce for 125 Baht, by far one of the cheapest and most delicious fresh seafood places we came across.

Great times and I'm happy to have gone again, Patong was completely different from Rawai... but if you like city atmosphere its an OK place to go. I prefer the peace and quiet of Rawai.

iolaire and Kalboz like this.