Kotar Montenegro

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rodeojones, Aug 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone been to Kotar Montenegro during the summer months? I understand the cruise ships dock there and unload their passengers for day tours.

I am wondering how crowded the town becomes.

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard that well known coastal towns can get pretty crowded during the summer. If you can get to know someone local, you might be able to explore the wilder mountain areas (National Parks). They are known for truly breathtaking scenery. It will likely take some research to figure out transportation and accomodation options off the beaten track. Mountain roads are hard to navigate, so driving is not recommended for a visitor.

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and rodeojones like this.
  3. burmans

burmans Active Member

Status Points:
    Was there a month ago, great place. Even in peak times you can get away from the tourists pretty easily just by going into the back streets, they all seem to keep to a small set of sights and the main streets!

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the back streets are safe.

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't been to Kotar, but Budva was fantastic. If you have time to include it, I would highly recommend it.

jbcarioca and MX like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been there in August and on off season too. In August, of course, it can be swamped and cruise ships add to it. IME, the rest of the time is:
    exactly as burmans says IME.
    Everywhere is safe in the entire region IME. It is one of my favorite regions with Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia and much of Serbia being generally delightful places to visit.
    I have driven in several park areas and a number of pretty remote spots. My Garmin GPS maps have covered even unpaved roads. I have never had any problem at all driving in Montenegro. If you can handle urban and rural Italy and if you've an up-to-date GPS you can drive anywhere without problems. If you're shy about driving in unfamiliar places you might want to think about it.

OK, I should admit that I live in Rio de Janeiro, sometimes regarded as a difficult place to drive. Compared to home, Montenegro driving is a piece of cake.

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  7. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points: