Koru Lounge Access at LAX

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by DanielleDW, Nov 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DanielleDW

DanielleDW Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying LAX-LHR and have a United Club membership but am only UA Premier (Star Alliance Silver). My reading of the United Club site is that I should have access to the Koru Lounges in NZ, but NOT at LAX. Is that right?

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying LAX-LHR on Air NZ then you will have access to the NZ lounge (via Red Carpet Club membership). If you are flying LAX-LHR on United then you will have access to the Red Carpet Club, but not the NZ lounge (as it is in an unconnected terminal).

3. DanielleDW

DanielleDW Active Member

Status Points:
    I thought since the LAX Koru lounge is considered an "international" lounge you had to be in business class (I'm only in premiere economy) or be a Star Alliance Gold or above. But I'll try it regardless.

Thanks.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK RCC membership gives access to all NZ-operated lounges, except regional koru clubs (as long as departing same day on a *A flight and can get access to the applicable terminal).

5. DanielleDW

DanielleDW Active Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha - thanks! I'll post here with my results after next week.

6. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    My previous understanding of the rules were that a RCC membership would grant you access to SA gold lounges regardless of status level. However, you're right that the UA website seems to suggest otherwise when it outlines access to the NZ lounges. FWIW, I found this on the Air New Zealand website:

Let us know what you find out next week.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transit passengers on NZ1 LHR-AKL via LAX or NZ2 AKL-LHR via LAX have to use the immigration holding pen unless in business class. This is due to US immigration limitations (and the length of time it would take to process all passengers in the main immigration hall & security).

8. DanielleDW

DanielleDW Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm in! The access information on the ANZ and UA websites was confusing, but with the UC (formerly RCC) card and a same-day boarding pass, it was no problem. And it's really nice - at least, from the perspective of someone who normally uses the United Club. Also, it's staffed by some very attractive young men who just brought me some wine. So that's even better. :)

drdubs and kiwi like this.