Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and riverchica like this.
  2. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Komen cuts Planned Parenthood funding . . . and I cut Komen funding.

Toula, garyst16, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  3. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    They make it hard not to connect the dots. I don't agree with political beliefs interfering in the administration of healthcare to others.

Wikipedia is already adding to the Komen Page. Not looking good.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both of these are great organizations

The real issue here is why would someone donate money to one non profit just so that they could donate it to another when the money could be donated directly and avoid all the overhead related to processing it a second time.

Doesn't make cents to me (any pun intended !)

DTWBOB.

2soonold, Toula, Counsellor and 4 others like this.
  5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I give to Komen because it promises to fund research for a cure to breast cancer. I didn't know that Planned Parenthood had a breast cancer research facility. If I want to give to Planned Parenthood, I know how to do that. I don't need Komen to give money to Planned Parenthood that I wanted them to use for cancer research. I do understand, though, the disappointment and frustration of those who can't figure out how to give to Planned Parenthood directly, and therefore gave to Komen as a way to get their money to Planned Parenthood.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I am cutting out the middle man.

Because, frankly, I hadn't really looked at what exactly Komen did with our donations. But you are right, it seems like unnecessary overhead in the case of PP. Of course, if Komen also funds institutions that don't have direct donor outreach (university research, maybe?) then this would seem like a reasonable approach.

In any case, for 2012 any requests for Komen sponsorships will be answered with "I am sorry, we have allocated our funds this year to Planned Parenthood".

According to that handy dandy chart on Komen's wikipedia page, Komen's expenses in 2009/2010 were:

Research (20.9%)
    Public health education (39.1%)
    Health screening services (13.0%)
    Treatment (5.6%)
    Fund-raising costs (10.0%)
    Administrative costs (11.3%)

In other words, they spend more on Fundraising plus Administrative efforts than on Research funding.

Toula, jbcarioca, LIH Prem and 2 others like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wholeheartedly agree. I am a research scientist with a small research program that involves breast cancer. Although I have never applied for funding from the Komen Foundation, I do have colleagues who received research funds from them to do something noble and great for fellow human beings. To let political beliefs get in the way, IMHO, is a shame...

8. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if Komen did change their criteria for funding grants, you would have thought they might have given PP a heads up & handled the announcement in a different manner. The fact is, they didn't, & thus the allegations of "political motivation/pressure" instantly popped to the forefront of the news & possibly, rightly so. I for one am very disappointed in the Komen Board for their bad management in this instance & it leaves me feeling not all that confident in their other decisions either. Too bad, especially considering how much the OWMD raised for them.

2soonold, Toula, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Komen grants to PP were for breast cancer screening.

-David

Toula, jbcarioca and Randy Petersen like this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Other than a very brief mention of AA in the originating post, the discussion seems to be more about the actual news story as reported by HuffPo. Also as a reminder, there are likely much better websites to engage in any spirited discussions about this. Thank you for supporting the goals of MilePoint.

11. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    very true, Randy, but this was a huge political and public relations blunder. I've got liberal friends who are furious and it's hard to argue the merits of Komen because of their tone-deaf PR. I betcha anything they reverse course in the next few days

2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
  12. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    A better source of that type of data is the 990 they have to file with IRS and a check of the Guidestar site lists 189 Komen foundations....

DTWBOB

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Based on the footnote on Wikipedia their percentages are derived from the audited annual report found here:

http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/Content/AboutUs/Financial/AUDIT_FINAL_FY2010.pdf

From page 3 I see that about $75 million are spent on research out of total expenses of $359 million, which represents about 20.9%.

I only glanced over the statement for the purpose of this reply, but it appears to be a consolidated statement of the various local affiliates.

I have no idea if 20.9% is an appropriate amount to spend on research. The whole purpose of my post was to reply to gemac's post above and clarify that a donation to Komen isn't a (pure) donation to research. Everyone needs to draw their own conclusions and do their own research. I don't know, for example, if there are reputable foundations that direct more towards breast cancer research.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO politics should not play a role in science, but that is wishful thinking.

My support of Susan B Komen has always been based on support for searching for cures for breast cancer. Screening is an excellent thing to do, but it is not searching for a cure.

The amount of non-research spending by Susan B Komen has irritated me for some time, but the screening and other activities also seem worthy to me because I don't want to be doctrinaire.

OTOH, the manner in which the Planned Parenthood issue was handled, justifiable or not, has caused me to cease all contributions to Susan B Komen.

My political views are not a secret to anybody, but they have no place in this issue, IMHO. I frankly do not care what other activities are being done by someone who does breast cancer screening. I care about early diagnosis and treatment. If any of us were to demand political litmus tests for our partners in any given activity we'd soon have a very narrow group of allies. I do not expect people who deal with me to agree with me.

I do expect charities I support to be efficient. I also expect them to be politically, religiously and socially tolerant. If they cannot be so, I will not support them.

Toula, tondoleo, canucklehead and 2 others like this.
  15. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a scientist perspective, part of the Cure to breast cancer is ensuring early detection - as Prevention is as important and much more cost-effective than treatment. They spent 13% in 2009-2010 on screening services, of which breast examinations that were performed by Planned Parenthood was a key partner. In addition to physical screening, mammograms, biopsies and other cancer treatment services. Komen's founder, Brinker noted that they are opting out of the pass-through service PP provides (screening and referral to the latter services). I see this as a poorly conceived decision. PP provides a necessary service to many communities wrt breast cancer prevention and early detection. Without this first-pass screening, it could jeopardize the lives of many women, especially those of lower economic status.

Ultimately, I am saddened by this decision. I ran in the 1st Race for the Cure held in Canada (organized by the Cdn Breast Cancer Foundation) and many afterwards because I believe we need a cure. I have seen how devastating breast cancer can be to families (through one of my best friend's experiences), as well as all cancers. I still believe we must find a cure.

Toula and tondoleo like this.
  16. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the damage is already done, and I doubt that people will reverse their position now and decide to support Komen in light of how easily they flip-flop on this kind of issue.

The damage to PP was minimal, as most people took the initiative to replace the funding on their own. My understanding is that private donations over the last 2 days completely covered the funding that had been pulled, and then some.

2soonold and Toula like this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    They read MP, but also the all influential New York Times editorial this morning that hammered them...

Yup, money talked and bs just walked...;)

I am not so sure about that... I think that people tend to have a short memory in this country...That, or they believe in atonement and redemption.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, if the purpose of the outrage was to get them to change their mind, that was accomplished, and I certainly won't criticize them for doing what many asked them to do. They made a mistake and they fixed it.

That said, this incident gave me the "inspiration" to look at how they spend their money, and I have come to the conclusion that I can probably find more direct ways to fund screenings, without the additional overhead of 20% for fundraising and administration. And I also learned that I should really take a bit of time to research the charities I give to beyond the Star rating at charitynavigator.org.

riverchica and viguera like this.
  20. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    well, that didn't take long --

Komen now says it will consider Planned Parenthood for future grants http://wapo.st/zxcdtv

21. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The damage is done on both sides: the pro and anti PP sides now have reason drop support for Komen.

2soonold, Counsellor and viguera like this.
  22. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing that out. I need to find another organization that is more heavily involved in funding research. It appears that 79.1% of the money I have been donating to Komen hasn't gone "for the cure" as they said it would. I knew not every bit was going there, but I thought it would be higher than 20.9%. After all, they promote it as "Komen Foundation for the Cure".

LIH Prem and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  23. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The interesting thing to me is that fund-raising and administrative costs are more than 20% of the total.

They've definitely done some damage here. I wonder if they can recover.

-David

24. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to point out that the funds Komen channeled to PP were not for research, but for the breast cancer screening services that PP provides; services that Komen has praised in the past. PP, it’s been stated, handles 1 in 5 screenings done in the US, which is a pretty significant number, so cutting off funding would have a serious effect. Beyond the OWMD initiatives, my donations will now permanently be switched over to PP instead of Komen since they’re not guaranteeing the funding in future years, only that PP can apply.

25. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Susan G. Komen Foundation vs. Planned Parenthood bullies

‎"Pardon me, but this is nuts. Planned Parenthood can raise its own money (which it did in spades in the wake of the flap). Those who want to give to a breast cancer charity can donate with the peace of mind that their money will be used to fight breast cancer. (Donors did so generously as a result of the controversy.) Now Planned Parenthood’s bosses have every right under current law to do what they do and raise money to fund their organization. But shame on them for intimidating other groups that might contemplate the same move as the Susan G. Komen Foundation made."

aamilesslave likes this.