KOA | Security times: WTF?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Took two hours to get through security and agriculture. This A/P has been racing to the bottom lately, especially since they installed nude-o-scopes. Rumour is TSA has made serious cut backs in staff. Anyone know anything?

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I flew out of KOA was December 2011, before the nude-o-scopes.

Only time in my life where a "Smurf" thought that a keychain from my alma-matter was a weapon, [not a WAC/PAC 10 school :p] asking what the logo meant. Maybe the guy was trying to be "thorough" in hopes it would earn brownie points because he knew of looming future staffing cuts. :rolleyes:

It really speaks volumes when security in Mexico, China, and countless other countries has security that is friendlier to foreigners than how KOA's TSA treats mainlanders. :(

Without question, +1 here on the "KOA.WTF?" thread title. :)

avflyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did KOA a few months back. No elite security line and took over 30 minutes to get through. Geezus was it slow.

+1 on WTF.

Max M and avflyer like this.
  4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't they make severe cutbacks in TSA staff in Hawaii because they found many of them to be thieves and running rings for stealing bags or electronics out of bags?

Not sure why TSA would have a problem filling the roles out there. I'm sure a lot of mainlanders would love a government paid vacation to Hawaii for a 6-12 months :)

-Rob

Max M, avflyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was at KOA in December 2011 and I am not sure what folks expect from what is essentially a third-world airport. Not only did it take forever to clear security, it took me someting like 30 min to get a hotdog from what passes for a fast-food shop in the joint...

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was there 1 month ago - 60 minutes. No ag because I was carry on. Bad airport!

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Max M, avflyer and ballardFlyer like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    KOA airport is still a small price to pay to stay at FS Hualalai, however.... :)

9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Max M and NYBanker like this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to completely agree!

When I was there in December 2011, they were out of snacks and cups for the self-service soda fountain. Not to mention that the lounge didn't have a private bathroom. Nice chairs, yes.

First Class boarding wasn't enforced, with Y pax forcing their way in front of First Class passengers. Granted it's a short flight, but when you pay for a First Class ticket, HA should try better to enforce boarding.

Considering I paid more than $50 for the upgrade [the discounted First airfare ~ $200 each way/p.p for KOA-HNL] if it were not for the baggage fees being waived, I would have felt really ripped off for paying for a First interisland ticket

NYBanker likes this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did strictly enforce boarding priorities for my departure, which was nice. Sent one F line interloper back to the end of a long Y line.

We had so many bags that for the increment to sit in front, we more than made up for it in baggage fee waivers.