Ko Samui ferry/shuttle combo to URT/Surat Thani question

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by eponymous_coward, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm booked through Nok Air on itinerary that looked like this:

8 am catch ferry Ko Samui
    (hour ferry ride)
    9:ish am catch bus
    (hour bus ride)
    1 pm fly out of URT to DMK

It's one of those all-in-one combos with Lomprayah that handles all the travel and gets around the rather spendy USM-BKK flight (at the cost of some time).

So, now there's a schedule change for the Nok Air flight (grr):

8 am catch ferry Ko Samui
    (hour ferry ride)
    9:ish am catch bus
    (hour bus ride)
    2:30 pm fly out of URT to DMK

So I'm looking at 3 to 4-ish hours waiting around at a provincial airport in Southern Thailand for my flight.

Uh, no, not so much wanting to do this.

So I am wondering, my understanding of the process is you get a sticker slapped on you when you show up at the pier so they know where the farang is supposed to be going and get carted ferry->bus->airport. Or something like that.

Is it possible to show up at the pier in Ko Samui for a later ferry (figuring on needing at least a 3-4 hours for transit)? Can you break off and head into town for lunch at some logical point (yeah, I might have to get a cab to/from the airport or something, fine)?

I'll be in carryon-only luggage (so no need to check anything, though I guess I might have to lug it around town).

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure enough, Lomprayah uses the coach/catamarans combo for transportation between Surat Thani and islands of Gulf of Siam ... but watch your bags and other personal effects!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...h-Koh_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html#REVIEWS
    [​IMG]

5. grand voyageur
    Original Member

grand voyageur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did the Nok air combo from Koh Phangan last year, and ferry boarding was quite chaotic with no clear indication which boat to board (there are several departing at the same time). Ours arrived late and we arrived 30 minutes later than scheduled before taking the bus. Then we had to wait a while for our bags to appear frommthe bottom of the luggage pile... The bus ran late also, so we arrived at the airport over an hour late and ran to the check in counters, but luckily the plane was waiting for the last passengers and we boarded immediately. Was an old Russian Boeing with cyrillic characters still printed on the seatbacks :) More stressful than the direct BKK-USM flight on Bangkok Airways, but quite a bit cheaper of course.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I travel carryon only (I may try to go one-bag this trip). I don't like carting around a ton of stuff and I figure it gives me more flexibility.

Kalboz likes this.