Ko Chang-Thailand

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by mynameismud, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Mrs Mud and i are leaving (very soon) to Ko Chang and as more and more often we did not plan that much...
    Anyone been there?
    We are not into full moon party, is it a proper place for a "young couple" who wants to rest and discover the surroundings?
    Any recommanded place to stay? 50 eur/70 usd woud be a maximum per night

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never been there but it's on my bucket list. The full moon party is usually held at Koh Phangan (close to Koh Samui) ... but yes many young vacationers and backpackers prefer Koh Chang. The island is in its very-wet rainy season May through October and there is no real towns there either, just resorts with "villages" around them.

Two 3-star hotels at wotif.com and three 4-star ones at ratestogo.com are within your budget. You can also try latestays.com I am sure they have at least 2-3 properties within your price range. Unlike Phuket and other islands, Koh Chang has not been fully developed and thus it's harder to get value accommodations. Basically, you will not get the good ones such as the Amari, Dusit's Princess, etc. as they are priced well above your allocated hotel budget.

mynameismud and Chimpy like this.
  3. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz

4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was there 7 years ago and it was tranquil. Reports since then are of the elimination of cheaper lodgings and more resort style buildings. White Sand Beach (hat khao sai) on the northeast was not too impressive. Lonely beach down on the southeast was much nicer (for the beach at least).

Kalboz likes this.
  5. I would also think of trying to head some of the surrounding islands if you have a chance- I visited Koh Mak five years ago and it was absolutely gorgeous and very very low key. I think things may have picked up a bit more, but certainly worth a look. The ferry ride from Koh Chang is only 40 minutes. How are you getting to Trat?

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points: