KnowRoaming SIM card "sticker"

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Oct 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's an interesting concept... This is basically a crowd-sourced combination of hardware/software, where you put a "sticker" over your SIM that makes it programmable (I suppose based on the contacts that are "live" on the sticker itself.

There's a companion app that you use to control everything, including managing the phone numbers associated with your account, prepay your usage, etc.

http://www.knowroaming.com/

Not sure how well this is going to work or how competitive it would be compared to local SIMs, but it's certainly an alternative for people that want to use their own phone and don't want to worry about carrying 10 SIM cards with them (or more... you know who you are :) ).

2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is actually a very cool piece of technology. I curious how they handle APNs and the like, but it is definitely cool.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing the software changes system settings whenever you choose to change numbers/carriers? The only catch would be if this is prohibitively expensive (on the carrier/plans side), but otherwise it can be a pretty cool and useful gadget for people who travel a lot.

4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bumping this.

Been using this for the past half year and so and it's pretty good.

The sim acts as a virtual carrier and takes over when you're out of the country, so it tells your existing sim not to log on to your home carrier's partner network (eg. Tmobile's partner in UK, O2), but rather Knowroaming's partner. Hence in the carrier name it'll show: "KRoaming"

Hence all calls are gone through Knowroaming "native-lly" and charged based on KR's rates.

The biggest plus is that you can get custom numbers (UK and US free of charge), and people can still reach you using those numbers after you're back home.

Data works by using the KR app to override the APN settings, you'll have to manually set it up out of country. Currently I think they're offering $7.99/day for certain countries for unlimited data. The pricing isn't that great in terms of data -- but I usually get a local sim for data anyways.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    viguera, ACMM and iolaire like this.