Known Traveler/Redress - what is this?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by PAinNY, Oct 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I just went online on UA to book a trip for myself and the hubby. As I was checking out I noticed he had a 9 digit Known Traveler/Redress number that he never had before. What is this all about?

He is not a registered in Global Entry or in any type of trusted traveler programs so I am really confused as to why he has this number. Is this a positive or a negative issue?

Thanks so much
    PA and the Known Traveler

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  2. taylor-made-travels

taylor-made-travels Member

Status Points:
    PAinNY likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A redress number is issued to passengers when their name matches one on a watch list and they have gone through the process of proving to the Feds that the watchee is someone else. The Known Traveler number is from GE, Nexus or similar. In both cases it is supposed to remove/reduce the screening burden.

PAinNY likes this.
  4. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both, I think we willl call United. I doubt it's a redress number because my husband has a very unusual spelling of a European name and he never had trouble and didn't go through any process. As for the known traveler number, he hasn't joined GE, Nexus or anything similar. It's very strange - and I will have to call United anyway since I never received the E ticket - just a confirmation of the purchase.
    Thanks
    PA

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago, a colleague (having a very common first and last name) returning to the US at IAD by way of LHR, was detained for an extra in-depth "security check". He was full of high dudgeon that this had even occurred to him. I did an internet search and showed him the number of bank robbers, murderers, and other unsavory characters who shared his name, and spelled in the same exact manner. I suspect that he grudgingly enjoys now having a redress number! ;)

PAinNY likes this.
  6. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL Newscience - well this hasn't happened to him yet but I will find out what it is all about
    PA

Newscience likes this.
  7. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an update if anyone is interested
    I called United and they also had no idea but after checking said it was a redress number that was isssued by the TSA. No idea why this happened but they said not to worry about it

Newscience likes this.