Knowing Which Rewards to Use...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mapenn, Feb 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess falls under the category of learning from your mistakes.

I had an emergency trip to St. Louis this weekend and found a Hilton Homewood Suites to stay in. Instinctively, I logged into HHonors and traded 25,000 points for a $100 room. If I am doing my math right, that made my HHonors points worth about .3 cents.

Hindsight is always clearer, eh? After getting home, I remembered all those Chase UR points sitting around waiting to be used. Why didn't I use them instead? Had I made the booking using UR, I could have booked the same room for 8,247 UR points. That would make my UR points worth 1.2 cents.

Wow, what a difference! I'm kicking myself. Plus, It would have been a heck of a lot easier to earn back 10,000 UR points, eh? But it was an emergency and I had to make decisions quickly, so that was a factor.

Just wanted to throw that story out there into the newbie section. It's all a learning experience. But, in the end, this hobby allowed me to quickly travel without having to worry about the bill. So, no complaints from me!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would've used the HHonors points as I value UR points a lot more. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would have paid cash. :)

But ...

... this is what is the bottom line.

4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eh for an emergency it's not as simple as pt/cent valuation. With a Chase UR card with no category bonus $8247 gets you 8247 pts with an Amex HHonors NAF card $8247 gets you 24741 pts without a category bonus. So the earn-back rates, all things being equal are about equal. Neither redemption was exactly "high value" but it was an emergency so the value in non-monetary terms was as high as it gets.

5. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting viewpoints!

In my mind, I was comparing how much faster it would be to re-earn the UR points back -- assuming I could continue to earning both HH and UR points mostly at 5X per dollar. That I should have held the HH points for a higher value stay when the points would be worth closer to the 1 cent ballpark.

I guess there are multiple ways to view thing, eh?

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have paid cash as the hotel points tend to be much better used for multiple nights or more expensive properties.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. At $100/night there are very few scenarios where I'd use points instead.

edekba and marcwint55 like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This early during the year when I am still trying to requalify for Diamond, I would have paid with the Surpass and turned $100 into 1000 base points + 500 Diamond bonus x+ 500 double-dipping (point+point) 1200 AMEX Bonus + 1000 Diamond MyWay + 1000 Q1 Double HHonors promo = 5200 points...