Knitters Beware!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by KyRoamer, Jan 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife knits on airplanes. Where for a while after 9/11 needles were not allowed, they don't even get a second look here in the States.

New Year's day we flew Frontier to Cancun. No problems at security and she knitted much of the way down. Yesterday, on our return flight she was stopped by security at Cancun and told no knitting needles allowed. She had to return to the check-in area, get a zippered bag and then check her knitting.She was furious.

Frontier was wonderful. They allowed her to bypass the long check-in line since she already had checked-in once and waived the extra bag fee. Her knitting was one of the first pieces of baggage off the plane but she is still upset that she was not allowed to knit in transit.

I am not sure whether no needles is just a Mexican issue or if other non-USA airports have similar rules. She asked that I warn everyone and I thought this was a good place to do it.

You've been warned.

2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airport rules in Mexico seem to be rather random.

I just returned from Cabo (SJD) last weekend. They changed what was allowed vs my last flight from there:
    • shoes on
    • computers inside the bag
    • No water through security (previously no water restrictions to enter airside... but no liquids allowed onto the flight)
    • Ok to take airside purchased liquids onto the plane (like drinks, booze from the shops, cholula sauce)
    • Only random gate security checks.
    Probably other things that changed that I did not notice. I did not notice if anyone was knitting.

3. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Discussions on ravelry suggest that this is a common problem with Latin America. I know several knitters who have not been allowed to take needles on planes from Costa Rica and Panama, too.

4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not had any problem either domestically US, European destinations, or coming back from Australia. But I also only use circular needles onboard as they seem to be less threatening looking going through security. Maybe so, maybe no, but it makes me feel better to do it that way. Have not flown Latin America or Caribbean, so no experience there.

5. LiveLaughLoveTravel
    Original Member

LiveLaughLoveTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple years ago a friend was not allowed to take knitting needles through security at the Dublin airport, yet had no problem at LAX when en route to Dublin.