Knee Defender

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jer50, Oct 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jer50

jer50 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just curious how many choose to lean back while sitting in economy? I for one would never do that out of respect for the person behind me and greatly reducing their space even when others do it to me. I have had two laptops who's screens were damaged because someone in front decided to slam back the seat. I have read other threads about this and know there are few airlines who allow knee defender. I have asked SIA to consider asking those on the pre flight announcements to please be thoughtful and consider the person behind you IF you choose to recline. BTW many of my Asian flights are 5-6 hours long and I still would never recline. I am considering stacking the books to prevent the person in front from reclining.

mevlannen and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll recline, but I move the seat back slowly, and only part way unless it's long haul int'l. People have strong opinions both ways, but my feeling is that, as long as the airlines give us seats that recline it is fine to use them... as long as you use the recline thoughtfully.

WilliamQ, kellio and satman40 like this.
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't bother with 'recline' those few times I ride in Y cabin on large aircraft, because 'recline' provides me with scant additional comfort, whilst risking harm to whoever is unlucky enough to be sitting behind me.

On tinyplanes such as DH-3, there is no recline available anyway: we all get to wedge ourselves into tinyplane seats and watch thunder-clouds roll by on either side.

Sometimes I do wish I were but five feet tiny and could just do yoga poses whilst in Y seat, Let's see: "outward facing Mevs", a classic pose only done by us Finnmaidens.

Be well,

/mevlannen

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recline, when I feel like it,

The person in back of me can recline if they like.

The person in front of me, is also free to recline,

The seat recline, that is the why they were made that way..

I have never lost a laptop in over 2 million miles, my seat reclines a little bit, and I have had to recline more when the seat in front of me declined more..

I go with the flow...it is easier..l

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    WilliamQ and mevlannen like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there airlines who expressively allow "knee defenders"? I thought they are considered illegal modifications?

I agree current seats are cramp. I agree all should be courteous. I personally do a slow recline and visually check sometimes. But like the toilet seat debate, leaving the seat up vs leaving the seat down boils down to who is in control of the situation or who suffers more.

If I am using a laptop, I could also let the pax in front know and request for early warning should the pax needs to recline. I could (should) be considerate as much as I expect the pax in front to be considerate. I should not expect the pax in front not to recline just because the seats are cramp and I need to use the laptop.

Meal times are an exception though. When everyone is still eating, do not ever recline. I think there is no excuse for that but that is only my personal beliefs.

Counsellor, mevlannen and satman40 like this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only recline on red eye, if I have to fly those. But standard continental US flights, nope. Even though they "allow it" I don't think you should, so I don't. I wish that option was removed. I believe Spirit does not have reclining seats, but to my knowledge, that's it.

satman40 and mevlannen like this.
  7. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The seats so barely recline as it is, that I wonder why they still have that limited facility at all?

YULtide and satman40 like this.
  8. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I recline defensively if the person in front of me reclines. Otherwise I don't recline. And I don't slam it back at any time.

satman40 and ACMM like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a pinch in dangle my legs over the top of the seat in front of me :D

[Sent from my Tapatalk enabled iPhone]

10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    To observe the obvious: the best defence against overzealous reclining is a nice solid bulkhead in front of one's seat.

[sent from my early-morning fumble-fingered keyboard while the coffee perks on the stove]

11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If my seat would not recline I would report it,,the person with the knee defender has a reclining seat.

12. allytraveler

allytraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    I try never to recline
    If I do, it is only slightly.

13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just so we remember that recline and recline+ are marketed as a perk both upfront (Business / First) and in the back (Economy). Since it were marketed so and folks made purchases based on that (e.g. Delta's Comfort+), then it is never a question of should one recline when taking a flight.

In theory, it is actually the passenger at the back who should seek the understanding and acceptance of the front passenger to surrender his/her right to recline based on what was bought. While we can (should) all be gracious and be considerate, we have to remember who has the "right of way".

Airlines did not promote / sell / promise the amount of space in front of one's face nor the right to work on a laptop on the meal tray but they certainly sold seats and seats++ that touts the extra leg room or angle of recline.

Personally, I do not recline indiscriminately and I try to be considerate but I did that not because I think I am infringing on the back passenger's personal space but rather I want to be considerate within reasons. Depending on the situation, I may at times choose to recline over the back seat's passenger's need to work on the laptop. Remember, while some may speak of bad knees, long legs, there are also folks (like me) who have bad backs and have trouble sitting upright for extended periods.

There was once tough that while I really needed to recline to catch some rest (early morning flight and I had to work through the night), I noticed the passenger behind me was a passenger of size so while I could insist on reclining and sleep throughout (no meal service), I doubt the seat will be able to move as all space was taken so I dealt with it. Uncomfortable but there was nothing anyone could do anyway.

In short, (IMHO) recline is actually a right of the passenger since it was a purchased perk (else passenger could have bought something else) but not all will choose to exercise this perk. Blame not the passenger using what was bought but rather the aircraft design. And as for the passenger reclining, be considerate?

Two parting thoughts.
    1) When going through a door, it is not necessary to hold the door for the person behind. If the person behind was not paying attention and the closing door hits his/her face, the person in front is not guilty of a crime. It would however make the world a better place if the person in front looked back and see if there's anyone behind that might get hit if he/she just lets go of the door.

2) In a way, it is good that folks in front is "demanding" their rights while folks behind are demanding a reasonable space and consideration. Without these debates, airlines would probably try to get away with even more squeezing so in my opinion, folks should continue to exercise their rights in using what they paid for and hopefully airlines will stop making the situation worse and even reverse some of their decisions?

satman40, Dublin_rfk and violist like this.