KLT and Kiva Do Attendees: Your burning questions and top 3 suggestions for Kiva's future

Discussion in 'KivaDO | 2012' started by canucklehead, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all Milepoint Kiva members (including those who cannot attend the Do):

The speakers for the event and Matt Flannery himself have asked us to pose to our group what they would like to hear from the speakers.

1) Are there any specific questions you want answered or specific things you would like the speakers to discuss? If we can get some questions that will help frame the talks. Rest assured each speaker will also have time to answer Q&As.

2) When I visited Kiva, Matt Flannery asked me to identify 3 things that will propel Kiva in the future. So what are the three things that you think will make Kiva an even greater roaring success and propel its growth? Is there some aspect of Kiva that they are missing.

Here are the Kiva speakers -

Matt Flannery,Co-Founder and CEO of Kiva

Premal Shah, President of Kiva
    JD Bergeron, Senior Director of Social Performance
    Chelsa Bocci, Community Marketing Director
    Paul Ericksen, KivaLens Founder and Technology Expert
    Tim Hassett, Vice President, Global Portfolio Director
    Karen Buxton, Development Manager
    Giovanna Masci, Regional Director for the Americas

Jacob Schulz, Director, Fellows Program
    Videos from MFIs and Borrowers

Fire away and let your voice be heard. Also if you would like to pose the question in confidence, please feel free to send us (myself and jbcarioca) a conversation.

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Impressive round-up of Kiva staff! Well done.
    questions to follow.......

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Impressive line up. Well done.

I appreciate Kiva being solely US$ keeps things simple for them, but perhaps not so simple for MFIs (all except US ones have currency risks) and lenders (many outside US have currency risks). Is there any prospect of future methods to deal in other currencies? Eg an Australian lending to Samoan could in theory be done with just one currency conversion, but Kiva forces 2 currency conversions.

I may have more questions later.

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to hear about a day in the life of a Kiva fellow.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will have at least 2 fellows attending and speaking, maybe more! We will also have a breakout session with the Fellows for an even better Q&A.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    2nd question. Is there any thought to assist Kiva Fellows through mileage donations to enable the flights to and from the MFI to be booked as awards?

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a great conversation with 2 former Kiva Fellows tonight and they did express concern about sponsorship and thought that if we could assist them in this regard, it would be amazing.

At present, Kiva considers the Fellows program as fully volunteer, with responsibility for their tenure abroad the responsibility of the fellow. This is important for Kiva as they cannot play favorites amongst the fellows, and are not able to support all of them. They do, however, encourage their Fellows to seek support and would be delighted in the MP or any other team were able to assist the travel plans of the Fellows.

8. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't be able to attend, but in case I do get later info on the proceedings I am really interested in hearing (in simple laymans terms for simple me) about the vetting process for loans and vetting of the micro-lending organization. What complications/concerns arise? I like reality discussions, not the party line, so to speak. Hopefully the Kiva folks will put it out there for us. thanks -

Edit: I hope this post doesn't sound cynical. I didn't mean it that way. I think it is fantastic the folks you are getting from Kiva to chat with MPers. And it reflects very well on Kiva as an organization. I just like frank discussions. I'm very curious about the inner workings of this rather fascinating (to me) NGO.

9. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe one of our next team goals is to put in place an annual "Adopt a Kiva Fellow" program:)

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for putting this together.

My biggest concern would be a recording of it or a live broadcast.

Also compound sorting for the lend function. I use kivalens for now for that.

And of course the question everyone wants to know of Bob Harris, when will the book be out. :D

11. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like more information --- an underwriter's summary -- to let me know why the FP made the loan. Can we add that responsibility to the FP's burdens?

12. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw a 75 year old woman from Senegal seeking a loan at http://www.kiva.org/lend/390117. In Senegal the average life expectancy is under 57 years. Loan was made by a three star Field Partner. Question -- how does age affect the selection process? I passed on this loan for lack of information on her health and whether there was someone (child, husband, friend) prepared to take over the business and pay back the loan. I assume the Field Partner was not concerned about her health. The loan is just eight months.

Generally, I am bothered by the lack of information. Most just say that they work to make life better for themselves and there children. Many have had past loans but (unlike some) do not provide us informtion as to whether repayment was timely and complete.

13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    .......but it,s only $25 that would be lost.......per person....and I presume the field partner did Due diligence.

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can easily search, using the person's name, and find their previous loans. and find out if they paid on time.

15. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe after the Do I will have more confidence in the FP's due diligence. Right now there plenty of borrowers that to my mostly blind eyes seem lower risk. And it is not just $25 that would be lost. It is all the good that the $25 loaned and reloaned might have done that is at risk. I am about maxed out on money to invest and plan on allowing my investment to decline over the years to cover losses and my $25 per month donation to Kiva.

The loan funded quickly without me so others were obviously not put off by the borrower's age.

Now a comment about the milchap post -- the term "No disrespect meant" is disrespectful and adds nothing to milchap's point. Had the reply started with the "but" its point would still be there. I say this because I know that milchap meant no disrespect but I do not want to see MilePoint start sounding like certain (many, actually) other boards.

YULtide, Tenmoc, MSPeconomist and 5 others like this.
  16. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly, we all have different 'comfort' levels ie. 'risk tolerance' -- so what might be 'comfortable' to one person, may not be the case with another. I think you raised a good point, but milchap was expressing his perspective, and there is room for different opinions!:) He was not saying you were 'wrong' -- just not in agreement with your sentiment.

17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have amended my post.

Please accept my apologies for any turmoil caused......it was not my intention to be hurtful. :oops:

18. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope I said that. Your posts are always appreciated.

YULtide, Tenmoc, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  19. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did not object to a difference of opinion. I enjoy the exchange and often reconsider my position. If people always agree with you, that is a bad sign. Doing that cheats you out of the chance to learn and grow.

It is the starting of a sentence with words like "Obviously" and "No disrespect intended" that catch my attention. If I differ with you, I just present my case. Too often "No disrespect intended" is a substitute for "Hey dummy" or worse.

YULtide, Tenmoc, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to learn about the training that Kiva Fellows get before being sent abroad and also when overseas.

Also, how are locations assigned? Do many Kiva Fellows already know about or have experience in the areas where they are sent?

YULtide, jbcarioca, Tenmoc and 4 others like this.
  21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can provide some general answers to the questions posed, but we will also hear from Jacob Schultz, the Director of the Fellows program at the Do who will provide more comprehensive information and Mr. and Mrs. Horseguy will be recording the event for our members' viewing.

The Fellows are selected on a broad set of criteria, including (IIRC) previous experience with finance or microfinance (education, volunteer). Fellows are asked to rank their preferred destinations, and this may play to strengths such as second language skills. From the selected Fellows, they are brought to SF for a week-long training program (see Devon Fisher's blog on her Fellowship) to immerse themselves in MF relations and Kiva policy readying them for their time with their respective Field partners.

YULtide, jbcarioca, tondoleo and 5 others like this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that most of the Fellows are quite young, probably in their twenties with fresh undergraduate or master's degrees. I wonder whether Kiva has also been doing what the Peace Corps and some other international organizations do and also recruiting empty nesters and the energetic newly retired demographic.

YULtide, jbcarioca, tondoleo and 4 others like this.
  23. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news about the recording. Thank you Kiva and all for allowing this.

Do we know yet if the recording will include Bob Harris's talk?

YULtide, nime01, canucklehead and 3 others like this.
  24. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why the PayPal exclusive?

I know PayPal provides some services without charge, but it has proven difficult to use for some.

Does PayPal absorb the credit card fees? If not, why doesn't Kiva accept charges directly rather than through PayPal? Is PayPal's cost that much better?

We should raise this with Kiva.

25. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, there is a past relationship b/w Paypal & Kiva & the fees are waived for Kiva transactions!