KLM to introduce charges for suitcases

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by sobore, Feb 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/dutch-news/KLM-to-introduce-charges-for-suitcases_258511.html

Dutch airline KLM is to introduce fees for baggage, in line with the trend set by budget carriers.

People using internal European flights will have to pay €15 for each piece of hold luggage they take as long as it is paid for in advance. Luggage checked in at the airport will cost €30 and hand luggage will remain free of charge.

Read More: http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/dutch-news/KLM-to-introduce-charges-for-suitcases_258511.html

uggboy and skyvan like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch...wonder if they'll create a waiver for taking the FB credit card.

uggboy likes this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another big part of this news is that they're looking to start charging for lounge access.
    Considering how crowded the non-Schengen Crown Lounge is I'm not sure what they're talking about. I fear though that they are considering doing something like KQ (which they own part of) which would have a second lounge just for ST Elite Plus, and maybe throw Elite Plus and paid people in there. But again it is just speculation. I'm not sure how they could fit more people in the Crown Lounge.

Counsellor, sobore and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad news, and alongside LH / AF, this marks the decline of "full-service" flying within Europe. :(

SmooveG and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was lounge access free with certain fare classes?

uggboy likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They aren't going single cabin (not that European Business Class is anything decent) but it's simply an a-la-carte (ization) which can be fully expected.
    Someone had a good blog post about the reasons why this kind of change is a net positive or at least no worse than a moot point. Can't seem to figure out where I read that though.

uggboy likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that i know of. But as of now there are only two ways to get in to the Crown Lounge. Business Class ticket (European or World) and ST E+

sobore and uggboy like this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. ...and the now the perk will be a paid option.

uggboy likes this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I confirmed that bags won't be paid for lounges, and based on the current published list of SkyTeam E+ benefits they won't require a charge for that. I also doubt they charge it for WBC.

Worst case scenario is they no longer include European Business lounge access (their outstation lounges suck beyond belief anyway) and allow anyone who wants to pay in to the Crown Room causing insane crowding that make it like the SLC SkyClub during Spring Break.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next step: rename themselves Dutch Wings (to mimic LH's GermanWings)?

SmooveG and TRAVELSIG like this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the creativity of the current European legacy carriers top management this wouldn't surprise me at all.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Ninmurai

Ninmurai Active Member

Status Points:
    You realise that you can bypass the fee simply by using any FB number? Ivory will work according to this email:

Dear [Removed by Ninmurai]
    KLM recently announced that it will be changing its baggage policy for European flights. For tickets booked as from 22 April 2013, check-in baggage will be a paid option for all passengers travelling in Economy Class.
    An exception to this rule has been made for our valued Flying Blue Ivory members like yourself. You can check in one item of baggage free of charge, adding further to the benefits of your Flying Blue membership.
    The choice to check in baggage will become part of a range of flight options. It is also possible to expand your booking with options such as a seat in Economy Comfort or soon lounge access to the KLM Crown Lounge. This way KLM offers you the chance to customise your trip based on your personal preferences.
    Fare reductions to European destinations
    For a large number of European destinations, KLM is reducing its lowest available fares to €99 for a return flight. This expands the range of destinations available at this price within Europe to over 30 locations.

Click here for more information on check-in baggage
    We hope to see you on board soon

13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will need to be an Ivory member in order to receive this perk.

14. Ninmurai

Ninmurai Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes precisely my point. Ivory is the lowest tier. You could even sign up using your mobile phone on the way to the airport.

sobore likes this.
  15. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. Ivory is the level you receive just for signing up.;)

16. SmooveG

SmooveG Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is just sign up for the program (Ivory) and you get your first bag for free.
    To bad for their Elite Plus members (Gold, Platinum), they have to pay from now on for their second bag as I understand it.
    Fine if that's how they want it, if I need to take 2 bags I'll simply fly *A.
    With them I still have my second bag for free. :p For now..

17. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only there were more *A options from The Netherlands...

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Unfortunately at the moment it is quite a captive market. Take the train to Bruxelles I suppose?

19. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    What train? The Fyra that breaks down or the Thalys that doesn't go because the French are on strike? :p

But seriously, from where I live, there is no direct train link to Brussel... There used to be the option to take the light rail to The Hague and the Thalys from there, but The Hague is no longer a stop, so the closest is Amsterdam CS or Rotterdam CS... Both require me to travel >1 hour by light-rail to The Hague and the train to either one from there... Schiphol Airport is closer! :(

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Move? ;)

21. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't mind much, but the rest of the family does! ;)
    My DD (13) is doing Gymnasium (Dalton style) in a school she loves
    My DS (10) is in a school that does primary ed in a similar style, and wants to go to the same school 1.5 years from now.
    My dear SO is too rooted to consider leaving the province we're living in, let alone the country...

So I am afraid I'm staying put for the next foreseeable future! :p

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely they will understand when you explain to them it is because you need to join a different frequent flyer program ;)

23. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'm flying PRG/AMS 22 hour layover AMS/NRT on the same PNR, will my checked luggage fly for free?

24. Ready2board

Ready2board Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per October 2014 also Ivory FB members must pay per suitcase when flying within Europe. As FB member you do get 50% discount and you end up paying €7,50 per suitcase. But only if reported and paid up front. When booked at the airport it's still €15 per suitcase one-way. Silver/gold/platinum members do not have to pay.

Counsellor and dhammer53 like this.
  25. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Here's a link to the site explaining this.

And you can pay the fee with FB miles.

It also confirms that FB Elite still get their two bags free (for the time being, at least).