KL asking Euro250 change fee

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My flight AMS-MSP has an MX delay, so far they're saying a 2 hour delay, I connect MSP-ORD, so I tried at the lounge to shift to AMS-ORD. As a PM I should normally be able to if seats were available, but this might be a different case since AMS-ORD is overbooked.

Anyway, they were willing to put me on it but they wanted a 250 Euro change fee. Since (a) I'll miss my connex at MSP and (b) I'm PM, shouldn't this be a free change? (perhaps I fell into a difference between KL and DL rules, and it was a KL agent on the phone to DL making the change).

2. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    can you try ams-dtw-ord? there are flights every hr dtw-ord that could work for a free change if they have seats

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the sentence at the end of your first paragraph. Do you mean SDC? If so, it doesn't apply to international. If you don't have a changeable/refundable ticket, you change fee is what's in the fare rules, which normally would be denominated in dollars, typically $250 for a (not deep discount) international ticket. Could someone be confusing the currency or saying Euros out of habit when they mean dollars.

In an IROPs situation, to some extent you're at the mercy of the airline handling the rebooking although preference should be shown to elites. For a two hour MX delay, they might be confident of the prediction that it will only be two hours and you wouldn't be at risk of being stranded overnight in MSP. OTOH, asking to switch for free to the more convenient nonstop that presumably (I'm guessing here but AFAIK you have no great love for connecting unnecessarily through MSP) you didn't purchase because it was more expensive might look to an agent like DYKWIA by an American.

If this is an award ("free") ticket, as PM you don't pay change fees before 72 hours but can't change within 72 hours of the flight; changes require award inventory.

How do they explain the charge? Change fee or upfare or both?

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It was a change fee. I took a pass on it, kept my original flight and got a great onboard crew. Arrived in MSP several hours late so we missed our original and the next flight, but we're booked on the third flight (about 3 hours after the original scheduled flight),

As to coming across as a DYKWIA American, no, I've very polite and non-entitled in my attitude, friendly and explain how I understand the situation. Remember, I've been on the other side of the podium (DL RWT gate agent for a day)

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the beginning of the joint alliance, back in prehistoric times as airlines go, KLM agents in AMS seemed to hate NW American passengers. I think part of the problem was that, in a sense, NW rescued them.

However, I suspect still that the fee should have been $250 according to your fare rule. This is a set amount denominated in dollars and should not depend on where you are when you request to change the ticket. You might have been asked to sign a credit card charge in the local (Euro) equivalent of US$250.00, but changing the fee to 250 Euros is wrong.

Welcome to Minnesota, even if you wish you were already out of here. If you have time, check out the C club rather than hanging at the F/G lounge (the renovated one) close to where you arrived.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    BTW, part of my thinking was thus: they had to swap equipment, and we weren't getting fixed information on departure; best case scenario would have been a 2 hour delay (it ended up around 2.5 hours) but we all know those things can turn into real delays, with crews timing out and such. If that happens, they are scrambling to accommodate everyone, so I wanted to get ahead of the curve and get out of the way. If we had gotten on the ORD flight, that would be two less pax they had to deal with and two less seats they would have to find.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it would be better for everyone, but KLM still tends to automatically say "that is not possible."