Kiva Staff Business Travel/Accommodation in NYC?

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by kivakaren, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kivakaren

kivakaren Member

Status Points:
    Hi Milepointers!

It was so great to see so many of you in San Francisco. What a fun DO! Thanks again for all of your support.

Following up from some conversations that I had with several of you, I am seeking your advice regarding booking low-cost/affordable accommodations for a business trip that I'm planning to take to NYC from approximately May 6th - May 11th. Do you have suggestions regarding affordable places to stay? Some of you had mentioned point programs you had and/or cash and point programs? Do any of you have recommendations for me? I really appreciate your ideas and feedback!! :)

All my best,

Karen
    Development Manager, Kiva Microfunds
    (415) 686-2463
    karen@kiva.org

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Karen,

Folks could probably make better recommendations if you told us which part of NYC you need to be in.

YULtide and MissBurrill like this.
  3. kivakaren

kivakaren Member

Status Points:
    My meetings are mainly taking place in midtown, but I am happy to stay anywhere in Manhattan!

4. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    One non-point option that you should consider is Hotwire. It means you don't know the exact hotel until after you book (you are told the area it is in), but there can be substantial savings to be had. I booked yesterday for Zurich at $105 a night and ended up with a 4* Marriott 100m from the train station, when the best I could find at that price elsewhere was a 2* shack 2 km from the station.

Having said that, there are also times when there isn't much available, or they are only offering deals on really high-end hotels which, while great, is still too far beyond your budget.

5. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much are you gonna value your time? I think all the airports have cheap hotels. Also define "low cost/afffordable" for Manhattan $200/night sounds pretty good for a weekday

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    $200 is a stretch in the Spring when the tourists start pouring in en masse -- not that they really stop. :)

Agreed on the airports, although research is a most as some of them are actually fairly crappy for the money. I'd expect something like the HIX downtown to be around that price -- perfectly reasonable even if the rooms are small -- or a hotel of similar caliber.

Otherwise I'm guessing looking at Jersey or Queens, or perhaps a travel deal site as suggested above.

7. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotwire is showing $172 a night for 3* in Midtown. 4* in SoHo at $187.

nime01, YULtide, viguera and 2 others like this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    the airport hotels near JFK are all pricey, bad and VERY inconvenient to downtown - I'd go for something else. If you do stay near JFK AVOID AT ALL COSTS the hotel with International in the name - it's the hotel from hell :(

nime01, YULtide, MissBurrill and 3 others like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Preach

I live in CT but I'm in queens a couple of times a week and I agree that most of the hotels in that area are terrible.

Someone had a trip report from the HI on the corner of Rockaway and said it was decent though.

But they are all terribly inconvenient to the city regardless.

10. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that was an airport hotel. I just knew it as the hotel that friends would take their new found lady friends for an evening of rapture that happened to be NEAR the airport.

But to Karen's question, Ryan's hotwire numbers looked good. Pity you don't have a government ID. Another idea is that you could stay at my parents place. That's suuper cheap.

11. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    nime01, YULtide, MissBurrill and 2 others like this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    "didn't realize that was an airport hotel. I just knew it as the hotel that friends would take their new found lady friends for an evening of rapture that happened to be NEAR the airport. "

Hah..... I was sent there by the UA first class lounge due to a flight problem on a F international connection :(
    When they heard what I had to say about it the next day they were very apologetic and said they wouldn't use it again (which I hope was true - can't really believe they don't check the out before). If I hadn't been totally exhausted I would have paid for another hotel myself

nime01, YULtide and MissBurrill like this.