Kiva site offer presentment and optimization (Direct Marketing 501)

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by jbcarioca, May 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are having quite a discussion in the General Info thread about how to improve Kiva marketing, specifically site organization and offer presentment. In effect we're beginning to think like web marketers. That is all to the good IMO, but i think we need a thread for the subject. That will allow us to decide what we want to ask Kiva to do, specifically, and debate how to make these things the most beneficial for our cause.

Among us there are several people who are very well informed on this subject. We have people who have done offer creation, offer optimization, site organization and on and on. We have people who are experts in campaign management, including tools. We have passion for our subject. let's get serious about this!

So, here's a first post, a response to a fcjapan post in General Info:

The point I have been advocating is that nobody need have these answers for certain for everyone.
    1) As in direct marketing in general, champion-challenger procedures can be used to determine optimal placement and creative solutions.
    2) With many of the top lending teams representing strong philosophical or common interest bonds it should be feasible to optimize presentation for these groups (Atheists...Christians...Gays. These have clearly defined interests in some respects. Less so for MilePointers or Europeans, who are more diverse in interests by definition. However, for the roughly 27% of lenders who have more than 25 loans on MP KLT, assuming we're typical (thanks to iolaire who is doing team analysis:)), one can safely assume that customized presentation might just improve
    lending response.
    3) All the more so for the >10% of members who've made no loans at all. That last percentage is MP KLT also, but our activity rate is far, far higher than it is for Kiva Lending teams as a whole. People who've taken the trouble to join a team, but then not loaned, are a hugely important group. The best Direct marketing expertise we can apply must have positive results... hence we should help every effort, beginning with the June promotions Randy has just announced.

nime01, MissBurrill, YULtide and 6 others like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some additional notes -

Milepoint has over 83K members, and MP KLT is now over 800 members, so just under 1% of registered MPers are also MP Kiva lenders. I suspect the SMD4 launch party will increase our numbers and it will be up to us to sustain their enthusiasm.

When we held the Kiva Do, we had about 10% of our membership attend (probably the highest turnout ratio of any Do -- that would be equivalent to 8000 MegaDo attenders!), I would estimate another 5-10% of our group had intentions to come but due to other conflicts were not able to join us for the event. This is an attestation to our enthusiasm and potential to aid Kiva.

As jbcarioca has mentioned, of our members, approx 10% have registered but not lent, about 30% have made 5 or fewer loans. In the whole Kiva membership, the majority of participants have either 1 or zero loans, so we are above par in this respect. Like jbcarioca, I think that this group offers significant potential for growth, and I will personally go through the list of my referrals (using Kiva) and send out a reminder to those in this category to get them to loan. We have a few bloggers who were successful in increasing our membership and it would be good if we could reach out to them again and ask them to check their referrals and if necessary, help contact people to get them to lend. The most difficult loans are the first few - who to lend to, why do you lend, when do I get my money back... This team is very adept at responding through posts, but sometimes a personal conversation may be beneficial in providing guidance.

I also inquired about the free loan trial offers and was told that we would have to have a minimum of 1000 loan offers to use this marketing method. The person who donates has the right to determine how the repayments get disbursed (return to donator or donate repayments to Kiva).

nime01, milchap, Toula and 5 others like this.
  3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if we have Kiva KLT members who have not loaned, then I would venture to say that they're not active on these boards. In all seriousness, I was a Kiva member for years before finding you guys and I had never loaned. The infectious enthusiasm from this team and this forum propelled me to over 22 loans. So I think if we can get people on this board, we will convert those team members into active lenders.

nime01, fcjapan, Toula and 4 others like this.
  4. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than 8 x 10 glossies of miles and smiles what do you propose we do to lure folks to these threads where our camaraderie, intelligence and wit will convince them to loan money? We may have to accept low growth in numbers and be happy with the group we have in place.

nime01, YULtide, fcjapan and 3 others like this.
  5. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe autographed 8 X 10 glossies of miles and smiles. In a Speedo.

And while I think that the camaraderie, intelligence and wit on this thread are second to none, I don't know if the growth would improve substantially without other incentives, such as the possibility of a coveted spot at the launch party.

nime01, YULtide, fcjapan and 2 others like this.
  6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be still my heart.

nime01, jbcarioca, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the SMD4 launch recruitment is working well - 27 new members since it was announced!

As Dreamworks said, this group has great enthusiasm that will keep the team going further. Let me throw out some suggestions for discussion:

a) if you recruit someone, please check if they have loaned, and if not, reach out and help them through the process
    b) a welcome message to all newcomers giving them encouragement and offer of support to guide them through the exploration and lending process' as well as into to the Kiva forums on Milepoint and other resources.
    c) a quarterly MP KLT newsletter that we can send out to our members via Kiva to keep people in touch with our goals, feature loans, spotlight on KLT or individual members....

The biggest hurdles to Kiva lenders appears to be the first loan -- most sign up but do not lend; the next hurdle is to make more than one loan and to remind people re: repayments. While I do not expect that everyone wants to be a superlender, when you work in $25 increments and build over time, the task is less formidable!

nime01, fcjapan, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is quite probable that there will be a loan matching program for our team, somewhat similar to the one now underway for Arab Youth, and the ones that have been done before in several geographies. if taht does happen it should help us get more activity among the presently inactive members and those who've only made a couple of loans.

We also should remember that we are not typical Kiva lenders. Our proportion of members who've never loaned may be the lowest of all major teams, less than 10% of our members have never loaned (thanks to iolaire we know that!). That probably is because all of our promotions from March 2011 onwards have included actually making a loan.

For those reasons I favor loan matching and loan-making as one eligibility criterion for raffles, etc. I was a fan of gift cards, but am now much more inclined to loan-matching because the lender must actually actively put up some money, a powerful commitment.

nime01, Dreamworks, fcjapan and 5 others like this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be great if we can loan match! will this be offered Kiva-wide or just to MP KLT members.

nime01, Dreamworks, fcjapan and 4 others like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is my understanding that it will be only MPKLT members, but details are not yet finalised.

nime01, fcjapan, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  11. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be great if instead of just being a member of the MPKLT to be eligible for the SMD4 prize, if it was made each loan gave one entry for the draw. Joining just gives a free tix.

nime01, fcjapan, William JLP and 4 others like this.
  12. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice if the new members became active over time and did not just do one loan in order to try and obtain the MegaDo entry.

nime01, fcjapan, William JLP and 3 others like this.
  13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is why it is up to us to encourage this process and enable new users to become as captivated by the good Kiva brings to the borrowers!

nime01, fcjapan, William JLP and 3 others like this.
  14. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you'll have those people, but since they are already on MP, we stand a good chance of hooking them. I personally like this board because it's active and I have friends on it. I'm a US flyer, but that board can be a little stagnant.

nime01, fcjapan, YULtide and 2 others like this.