Kiva Needs Virtual Meeting Help

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by Dreamworks, Mar 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friends,

I was lucky enough to talk to Beth Kuenstler, who is Kiva's VP of Marketing on Monday evening about some ideas. Once again, it was a great way to reconnect with Kiva in a meaningful and positive way. She asked me for some help, and because I'm nothing without my team, I am sharing this with you all.

So Kiva is restarting an idea called Community Conversations which allows them to reach out to their lending teams and share news and get feedback. They are planning this to be a quarterly event. Beth mentioned that it would be over the phone and start with a few slides and then just become hopefully a moderated discussion with Kiva sharing where they're at and getting feedback and suggestions from lenders.

So I originally was thinking WebEx, but maybe there's something you guys know better than me. She ideally wanted to be able to visually see how many people were on the site and where they were from. I'm not sure if doing it over VOIP would enable more people around the world to participate. I'm clear that they don't want it to be a VTC or video chat, but just audio to lessen the technical complications.

Any ideas on what platforms could be support this idea? And as usual, it would need to be free, cheap or donated. :)

Have at it, kids.

2. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea on (projected) # of participants? Would the call be scheduled for business hours or just outside of biz hours?

YULtide, MissBurrill and nime01 like this.
  3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd imagine they'd look for 250 participants, but I just made that up. Also, given time zone differences, I think business hours are relative. I'm assuming it might be evenings on the East Coast and late afternoon on the West Coast.

4. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    250 is a large-ish number. To get that many folks onto 1 call often requires a few "bridges" which can get expensive. If Kiva can instead do (multiple) calls with max 50, it would be easier I think to get a cheaper solution.

That said, I'll check with a few folks who know this stuff much better than I do and revert back here.

5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try NetMeeting.

6. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe 100? I'm totally talking out of my butt here. Perhaps I should email Beth.

7. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beth said 100. My butt apparently is smarter than I thought.

8. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    NetMeeting might work but it's not cross platform. Furthermore the long-term viability of NetMeeting is questionable as Microsoft is clearly favouring LiveOffice, Office Communicator, Messenger and others.

nime01 and YULtide like this.
  9. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    GotoWebinar looks to be the ticket, $99/flat rate....for up to 100. It can be online or phone toll call based, with the amount of no long distance charges plans today, that is the way to go IMO.

http://www.gotomeeting.com/fec/gotomeeting_pricing

nime01 and YULtide like this.