Kiva Loans to Humans With Y Chromosomes

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by tondoleo, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Voila.

nime01, canucklehead, YULtide and 5 others like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you fcj. You have done a very nice job in proving jbc's thesis that folks care a little bit less about impoverished men.

nime01, canucklehead, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will admit this thread reminded me of the need to keep my loans balanced. Before I found the world of expiring loans, the majority of my loans have been to women. Then it got tilted back in favour of Lebanese taxi drivers and Tajik farmers. Now somehow it's back to women. So going forward I am going to make a concerted effort to keep it balanced at 50/50 as there are a lot of men out there who need help to provide assistance to their families.

What does get on my goat is loans that are for females but the purpose is to provide funding to their husband's business.

nime01, fcjapan, canucklehead and 5 others like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Balance is hard to get, isn't it?
    It is true that women often put their names forward when the loan is really for the family business or the husband. It is generally easier to fund that way.

nime01, fcjapan, iolaire and 4 others like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently the MFI's have provided all of the loan applicant's with fcjapan's lending modus operandi regarding his predilection to loan to the women.

nime01, fcjapan, canucklehead and 3 others like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, for a slightly different take, the impact of Grameen and its illustrious founder cannot be overstated. The historical premise there was women working together sharing their assistance, something men of the region were not famed for being able to do. Since then the performance of women in this arena has been better than men. Ignoring issues such as loan purposes, loan size and tenor the data I have seen suggests there is not too much difference, none statistically. However, women do tend to borrow for shorter tenors, lesser amounts and for inherently self-liquidating purposes such as store inventory or seasonal seeds, etc. Men are much more prone to borrow for equipment and infrastructure, which cost more, require longer tenors and have much less direct, immediate repayment source.

Thus, the bias persists.
    The preceding, as usual, are my opinions. I do not represent them as facts, although I believe them to be.

nime01, kiwi, Toula and 4 others like this.
  7. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been 41 days since this thread has been created. To date our Kiva liaison has not responded. For shame.