Kiva Contributions now being 100% matched by Omidyar network.

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by jbcarioca, Sep 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just now the matching of contributions by the Omidyar Network was listed on my most recent donation offer. Now is an excellent time to donate if you're thinking of it. Frankly, all my kiva donations I make when somebody is matching, because that doubles the take. I do not know how long this one will last and I have not yet looked up the information.

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I presume that is donations to Kiva.....not loans.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - got a message just before I paid that they would double donation but this didn't apply to the actual
    Loans.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Omidyar is one of the most generous Kiva funders and they have a habit of liking matching donations. They are only donations, not for loans.

5. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a little late to respond to this, but this is great information. I've made half a dozen donations to Kiva, and only the very last one was when matching was going on. Now that I know this is something that happens regularly, I'll copy you, and only donate when matching is going on!

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the second time I can remember seeing this in my 16 months on Kiva. So, I'm not sure how often it happens. I also intend to make a donation soon, as instead of donating with each loan, I make larger donations less often.

7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how often this is active, but this match is being offered again now by Omidyar Network.

"Your donation has been matched through the generous support of Omidyar Network. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. No goods or services were provided to you by Kiva in exchange for your donation. This donation may be claimed for a deduction from your U.S. taxes. Please consult with your tax counsel regarding the deductibility rules that apply to your specific tax situation."​

(Reminder: This is a match for donations to Kiva -- not a match to your loans.)