Kirkland 4-wheeler spinner is back. Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingBear, Jun 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few months ago, all the full size (27") luggage by Kirkland disappeared online and in Costco stores, with a noticeable number of complains about the wheel quality. Now another full size, this time 26", Kirkland luggage piece is back and I am debating whether to return the $129 Samsonite set I got from Costco and get it instead or if the quality issues from before might make it a bad deal. Thoughts?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you like spinners, may as well check them out. I would assess both bags in person to see which appears better made and fits the way you travel best. Also, I'd evaluate the warrant differences, if any.

Good quality luggage is something you can generally get a pretty good handle on by evaluating in-person.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    My new Samsonite is a 27" spinner and I've seen both in person. Kirkland's is a bit smaller and feels heftier/sturdier, but the previous reviews (and the single one online right now) noting wheels being weak is scary, even though Costco's warranty is behind this one.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The current review notes loose screws, which is something easily rectified. The presence of the screws in the first place is a positive - easy to replace a broken wheel.

If you're concerned about the wheels, how do the wheels of both bags look up-close? Robust, rugged, and easily replaceable? What about the mounting? Do the screws thread into a solid and durable receptacle? Plastic or metal? What is the warranty on each? Which do you like best?

I get really picky about luggage. There's a lot you can tell from the grade of fabric, quality of zipper, and robustness (plus easy repair) of the wheel assembly, so I spend way too much time going over these with an eye for detail.

They are close enough in price and both from generally reputable vendors, so it would really come down to personal preference and inspection for me. I would want to inspect the wheels personally.

FlyingBear likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had a four-wheeler. Seems to me that's just two more wheels that the baggage handlers/baggage handing system can rip off.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't have one until this Samsonite and now I just... like it. Also, Kirkland brand does not have 2 wheelers right now.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like it would be a pain to handle multiple bags with 4-wheelers. I also do not trust the durability or convenience for walking quickly, but they certainly look convenient much of the time.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am obviously not talking from experience, and it wouldn't be the first time that I "dissed" something that I would actually find useful. Let us know how it works out for you :)

9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welp, the Samsonite experience failed in unexpected way. I absolutely loved the 4 wheels, to my surprise, but one of the internal zippers tore a week into my two week trip. And when I was returning the set, I found out that the carry-on that I did not even use yet had one whole side split. After my crappy experience with "Samsonite" computer bag, I don't think I will ever get anything with that logo.

So now I got a Kirkland 4-wheeler, will see how it survives my trip in September, but it does feel far more substantial in the materials being used.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can actually handle four 4-wheelers really easy. If you turn them back to back then you can hold two handles in each hand and pretty effortlessly walk with them.

11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought I would do a 60k miles, ~40 international segments update on the Kirkland luggage. So far it has held up great with no issues whatsoever. I am absolutely loving the 4-wheels, especially towards the end of my trips, when I am tired and the bag slowly gets heavier :) The one minor annoyance that I found is that with 4 (smaller) wheels, the luggage makes quite a noticeable amount of noise on rough surfaces. A somewhat different wheel material could negate some of that. Overall, 4.75 starts out of five

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a wide and/or tippy load, depending on the size and nature of the bags. I certainly see situations where 4-wheelers would be nice, but I also am still a bit skeptical overall.

iolaire likes this.