Kindle crushed during takeoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by KyRoamer, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying Rome to Detroit in a Delta A330-300 in business class, on takeoff I turned off my Kindle and put it in the seat back in front of me. The A330 had the old easy chair 2-2-2 configuration. After takeoff the person in front of me reclined his seat. Being business class this did not crowd me BUT it crushed my Kindle 3 keyboard model such that all I could get on the top 80% of the screen was random black lines. Delta never said not to put Kindles in seat backs or warned me in any way. On other flights I have heard them say to put laptops overhead for takeoff but never books or Kindles..

Do I have a legit gripe with Delta on this? Has this happened to you?

Sweet Willie and iolaire like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was it in any kinda case?

DTWBOB

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to picture what happened? When the person reclined, the shell seat would have moved a bit, but what did the kindle get crushed with/against? Your feet with the footrest extended?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a rubber sleeve.

5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing like that. Just put the Kindle in the seat back pocket. There were magazines there. All was reasonably loose when I put it in. After recline, the magazines wrapped the Kindle in a tight grip.

I had a Kindle App on my iPhone but had not loaded the book on it. At least I was able to select another book to read. The flight was 10h15m and all daylight. I told my wife that I did not sleep well on the plane but she said some guy was sitting next to her and snoring. Wonder who? ;)

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Snoring does not mean sleep well ;)

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to the initial question - should Delta be responsible?

8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kindles have notoriously flimsy screens. I doubt you could prove fault in Delta in this case.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no experance, but my opinion is that yes, it's a flaw. The seat should be able to recline without damaging contents in the pocket, especially something smaller like a kindle. Ask for compensation of $150 cash or 15,000 points?

10. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two lessons: Get an iPad Mini w/ retina screen when it comes out. Don't store such devices in setback pockets.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand your lessons.

Would the mini screen not have been cracked?

I have never seen a seat pocket that would have crushed a kindle, but I have also never set foot into the Delta A330, so I am curious about the mechanics of the problem. In any case I'll for sure continue putting my iPad into seat pockets of other aircraft/seat types.

rockyrock, Aktchi and iolaire like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do know the DL (PMNW) A330s and I still can't envision how this happened.

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't know, :) but iPads are well-made and it was mentioned by boondr just above that "Kindles have notoriously flimsy screens".

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe I'm siding with Delta on any topic:eek:

BUT, just because Delta did not specifically mention kindles, I don't think you have a legit gripe.
    no/never, I too am very curious how the mechanics of your situation happened, thinking back on flights I've been on (even RJs with smaller seat pockets), I just can't picture how the reclining seat would place so much pressure to crack a screen. (unless there was a LOT of other material in the seat back.)

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fairness the Kindle Fire HD screen is very good IME, which would be comparable to the iPad products, my comment was reference the older reader types.

Aktchi likes this.
  16. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on no evidence whatsoever, the Federal Aviation Administration ... airplane passengers to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing

17. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My old Kindle was know for its fragile screen. Google it and see the many complaints. But it ran circles around iPads when it came to reading books in bright sunlight. I replaced it with the newer Paperwhite model and it is even better. iPads, Kindle Fires, etc. just are hard to impossible to read in bright sunlight.

My new Kindle had a light weight, solid case available. I bought it and am glad. I knocked it off the kitchen table onto a hardwood floor with no damage.

I agree that some seat back pockets are risky. The A330-300 seat has a hard shell that reclines with the seat and creates pressure within the pockets. This new one is so small and the case so hard that I will keep it by my side on the seat and not in the pocket.

That's OK, I did. I have not made a claim on this.

The screen doesn't need to crack. With pressure it develops black lines that will not clear off. Looks like an old Etch-a-Sketch screen. Seats with soft backs like found on most domestic flights do not cause a problem. Maybe this seat would have been OK if it did not have the Delta flight magazine and the Duty Free catalog. Still it was not tight before the recline.