Kimpton 70 Park Avenue (NYC)

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by tondoleo, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my continued pursuit to renew my Inner Circle status my adventures took me to the City. I found a very good base rate that was reduced further via my Kimpton Global Business code.
    $ 261 with all taxes for Columbus Day Sunday. (Thanks to KatStarr for recommending this.)

The hotel is on Park between E. 38th and 39th Streets. A few blocks from Grand Central Terminal. I took the SkyTrain and subway to GCT. It was fun and inexpensive. $ 7.50 on my MetroCard.

The hotel lobby is small and cozy. The staff Kimpton capable, cheery and friendly. (I always wonder if they have a nitrous oxide canister in the back room for a bit of a sniff to keep the staff in such good spirits.) Of course they recognized my IC status and went through the litany of hotel amenities: free wifi as In Touch member, hosted wine hour, newspapers, etc. Then a surprise I had not read on the website. Since the hotel did not have room service I received a $ 30 mini bar voucher and free breakfast at the attached Silverleaf Coffee and Tea. There was not a hot breakfast at the Silverleaf but that was fine by me. A toasted bagel, fruit cup, tea and water gave me the calories for the morning urban hiking.

I received an upgrade from the Queen Deluxe room to a King Premiere room (double upgrade) that overlooked Park Avenue. The windows opened and it was great to have fresh air from the beautiful 62F weather. Besides the comfortable King bed there was a nice sofa and a chair. A desk with power charging outlets and ethernet connections.

The bathroom had a large soaking tub and a powerful shower head. Plenty of towels and etros bath products for those who care about such things.

The location was great. Easy access to whatever one needs in NYC. Walking, cab, bus or subway. I walked to meet friends at the High Line on the West Side and dinner on West 72nd Street and Central Park.

The only blip on the stay occurred upon my return at 11:15 a.m. on checkout day. I noticed a sign on the door that the maid was cleaning the room. As I entered the maid saw me and looked surprised. (I get that reaction often). I told her that my checkout was not for another 45 minutes and would she please leave. She replied I did not think you were still here since there was no luggage. Of course the closet was open and my luggage was there.:rolleyes: She left.

Of course I checked my luggaage and everything was still there unmolested. I mentioned this to Leidy at the front desk during checkout. Of course they apologized and said they would call housekeeping. Within an hour I received an email from Dwight Vega the Assistant Front Office Manager who assured me the matter was being addressed and would never occur again. Nice customer service.

All in all a wonderful stay. I am happy to be an Inner Circle member and to have the travel patterns to take advantage of Kimpton Hotels.

dmel and uggboy like this.