Kill the Password: Why a String of Characters Can’t Protect Us Anymore (WIRED article)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jenny & Curt, Nov 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you won't mind this being posted here, but as collectors of miles and points, we have soooo many passwords and accounts. The contents of these accounts represent real value. So, I thought this article would be of general interest to all of us. The author details a security breach he suffered, and what his resulting research taught him about password-protected accounts.
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012... Short List - Daily&utm_campaign=VSL 11/19/12

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scares the s%#$ out of me. And nobody seems to have the answer. And, no, my default password is not "password" or "123456".

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read the precursor articles to this awhile back, where he described everything that happened to him. Since then Google's 2step verification has been my friend. I have separated everything important, banks etc from unimportant, milepoint, Facebook to different emails. Not perfect but better.

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have international phone or messaging, so can't figure out how to make Google's 2step work for me. Any ideas?

5. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither do I, when you set up 2 step, google gives you a list of codes you can use when you don't have access to your phone. I took a screen shot with my iPad. You can print it out if you want and keep it somewhere secure. Sure it creates a vulnerability but it still more secure than a password because it requires another layer.

Jenny & Curt likes this.
  6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crap, I really wish I hadn't read that article...

Mike

Mikus33 likes this.