Kids in FC?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Handleman20, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This could probably go in general since it isn't specific to an airline, but here goes anyways...

I'm taking my 3 year old son back to GEG in a few weeks and have a pretty good deal to get us both tix in FC. However, he is 3. While he is seriously mellow and well-behaved (he has more SM than a lot of people I know due to custody arrangements/flying back and forth every 8 weeks), I wonder about how the usual FC cabin would react to a 3 year old being up there with all the Grey Poupon-ers.

Thoughts?

alohastephen, NYBanker and rwoman like this.
  2. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    my (then 2, now 3) year old son traveled in BE from ATL to FCO and back last year. he charmed everyone. flight attendants up front generally are older with grown up kids (esp TATL) - they doted on my kid the whole trip.

don't think anyone cared. flight attendants loved it. he dug the big seat and slept almost the whole way over.

have fun.

alohastephen, rwoman and autolycus like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think as long as the child is well-behaved, most people won't care. I'm sure you might get a look or two from someone that doesn't know any better, but your child has as much of a right to be up front as you do.

Our (now) 20 month old has been on 4 flights in first and everybody loved him. The flight attendants always come to say hello and get high-fives and more than once we've gotten the "he was so good!" speech from fellow passengers after the flights.

alohastephen, rwoman and autolycus like this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, as someone who flies in coach, I say the more kids in the front, the better! :)

I'm sure viguera and the commander are right. You might get a few looks, but if your son is well-behaved, nobody will care. I'd rather have a well-behaved child next to me than an abnoxious adult any day.

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    My son is now 4 but he few lax-cdg in j on AFwhen he was 18months(own seat), lax-lih in f at 2 yo, and lax-koa in f at 4, no one seemed to care. we have a rule with him when flying and that is there are no rules, we dont try to limit anything when flying, you want a second cookie ok you want another movie ok, we do limit these things in everyday life but have found the airplane to be a specail place. we also have a mini dvd player that is for planes only, he does not even know it could go in the car.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep that's the same approach we take. Plenty of juice and milk and cookies and as many episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba as he wants to watch.

We'd never consider it when he's on the ground but during take-off and landings everything goes.

7. joefouch

joefouch Silver Member

Status Points:
    On our recent holiday trip, we tried splitting the group of 4, with daddy and daughter [6] in FC and mommy and son [2] in the back. We did LAX-ATL-GSP. On flight #1, he came to visit me with a couple of hours to go and, seeing the luxurious setting he had been missing, he politely refused to go back. Fortunately he can still pass for a lap child.

When we boarded the short 2nd leg [CR9], he was sent back again with Mommy. They were near the back, so I heard nothing unusual.Then, about the time they were closing the doors, Mommy ran up carrying an apoplectic, red-faced little boy who had been screaming for his "upgrade" since boarding.

Fortunately, we had already arranged to be together on the return, and he loved his seat on the 77L. When the little guy reclined to go to sleep, we got a lot of glances of pleasant disbelief from the FAs.

mattsteg likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the problem is the disgruntlement towards those parents who appear to do nothing to address circumstances where a child is upset, simply yelling/screaming, loud, disturbing other passengers, etc.

Most of us know take off/landing can be hard on a baby/child's ears - heck, it is for me! :) For the rest of a fight, I liken it to being in a library or somewhere that an inside voice/behavior is expected. I do put the onus on the parent(s) to entertain and address their child's behavior.

I generally do not mind children on planes, but wanted to kill the parents of a screaming 18 month old JFK-LHR two weeks ago...one just sat there, the other slept, and little apparent effort was made to address whatever had the child upset. I was up and awake enough times to know...:confused:

Have a good flight - given you've traveled before, I'm sure you'll be fine!

:)

9. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up actually going coach this leg once I realized both planes had a 2-seat side of the aisle so I could trap him in against the window and put up the arm rest to make one MegaSeat. :)

viguera, rwoman and autolycus like this.
  10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very reasonable option! :)

rwoman likes this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    At three he's probably potty trained, otherwise he might fit in with the other poop-on-ers! :)

autolycus likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no issues at all. Your kids should be well behaved, regardless of their class of service. If someone has an issue with it, it is their problem, not yours.

Here are some photos of mine having fun in front.

We're heading to Paris on AF in J this weekend...

viguera likes this.
  13. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My belief is you sit where you are ticketed. Doesn't matter front or back, paying or miles. Of course it is usually quiet in the front so out of respect I wouldn't bring a out of control child ( or adult ) to the front unless they can control themselves.

14. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    My position precisely. If the parent is acting like parent, and not some disinterested bump-on-a-log, then I have nothing but respect or sympathy for them (depending on the child's state of being).

15. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not easy but heck, when your kids are that young, none if it seems to come easy... but that's what parenting is all about in my opinion.. just need to make the constant effort.. and of course be mindful of your environment while you're with your kids... My wife and I were on the same page as of day one, and that was to expose our kids to our lifestyle... and as it turns out... traveling with them has been an absolute breeze... both kids were on planes before they were 1 and have been flying with us yearly with what seems like zero issues... many times up in first and since they're so well behaved we get lots of compliments.. I'm not sure how we would do it otherwise... but if they were tough to deal with, I'd certainly think twice about putting them up in first...

16. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey don't sweat it. I'd be a "little" miffed if I was stuff in the middle of row 32 while your 3 year old lounges it up in a nice seat but who said life is fair. Also check out some of the stuff on Mommypoints blog with kids in FC.

autolycus and schnitzel like this.
  17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with daninstl - I always hate walking by kids in first on the way to my coach seat. But that's life - good for them! My kids would love it too, but it'll never happen on my dime.

Personal disgruntlement aside, you paid for the tickets, your kid is well behaved, done.

Frankly, plenty of people with tickets aren't well behaved. The whole idea that you're considerate enough to ask shows you wouldn't have a problem anyway.

Handleman20 and autolycus like this.
  18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of behavior I've seen from others far older...

19. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    and there's your future Kryptonian Medallion. :eek:

David

autolycus likes this.
  20. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not really about kids in F - but about how they are looked after.

I've been on a transatlantic in F with a couple and their two young boys. Throughout the flight they treated the cabin as their creche. Loud games, running about etc. Even though a day flight, no allowance for those who did want to sleep.

Thing is F is an experience people have potentially done a lot of saving to pay for - miles or cash. So its not fair for the experience to be spoiled. I really don't buy into the attitude of "Ive paid for it so I'll do as I please" that some have. Fact is - you are participating in a shared experience against a certain type of expectation and behaviours that go alongside that. So if you think you and family will enjoy that - brilliant!

Its a bit like going into a fine dining restaurant then complaining your children aren't catered for.

Its about empathy and respect for others. As others have said - the fact you are asking the question suggests your not going to have a problem. But equally don't do it all tense and OTT about others either cause then you won't enjoy it yourself.