Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

“People say I will be laughing about it in years to come, but I won’t. I get so angry and upset when I think about it. I can’t begin to emphasise how I felt, it was so stressful and out of order.” The words of Peggy Theophile speaking to the Leader about her experience of being left alone and stranded at Alicante airport after her flight took off without her and with her friend on board.

Peggy, 72, was travelling with her friend Shirley Vigors, 75, back to the UK on Friday 1st April and had booked a flight with EasyJet. They booked wheelchair assistance to help them board and it was with this that things started to go wrong. The pair checked in for their 11.05 flight to Bristol and were told to stand to one side and await help. They say they were waiting for almost an hour when a man arrived with a wheelchair, called Peggy’s name and took her off to a meeting point and left her behind an office close to gate 37. “I’d been sitting there for god knows how long and I had to go to the bathroom, when I came back the wheelchair had gone.” She continues, “I spoke to a lady and she went to get help and I was then wheeled to a gate in a new chair. Assuming it was my flight I asked the lady and the plane was going to Liverpool! I was then taken to an office and then somewhere else and I was told my plane had gone and I was furious! There was no announcement or anything for me.” Peggy is an avid traveller and no fool but is partially sighted due to diabetes and was not able to check the time to know that her flight was due to take off and the pair do not have mobile phones so could not communicate between each other.
    Horse likes this.