Key West Questions

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Bonnie, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are planning a quick getaway to Key West in July. While we live in South Florida, we haven't been down to the Keys in over a decade. Any suggestions, thoughts or experiences you'd like to share? Thanks.

2. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll answer my own question;)! We just came back from a few days in Key West. There are limited luxury hotel options here. Most hotels are 'bed and breakfast' type of accommodations. We stayed at the Marquesa Hotel. It was lovely, well located and very comfortable. The ambience at the Hotel is very Key West with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and gorgeous landscaped grounds and pools. Probably it's best described as a high end bed and breakfast. Except there really is no breakfast. Coffee is available poolside but the best bet for breakfast is across the street at Sarabeths. The Cafe Marquesa, connected to the Hotel, is outstanding! I wanted to order one of everything on the menu!

Key West was an easy fun getaway for a few days. The streets seemed cleaner than our last visit years ago but the sunset carnival continues unchanged!

iolaire likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe you went in July !!!:eek:

In our many trips up & down the Keys, I don't recall seeing many luxe properties. Years ago we stayed at Cheeca Lodge www.cheeca.com but questioned the $ we were spending.

A favorite, low cost place of ours was www.sugarloaflodge.net which was close to Key West to enjoy but we never want to stay in Key West. It also was close to various dive operators we used as well as being close to one of our favorite restaurants in the Keys, Mangrove Mamas www.mangrovemamasrestaurant.com

Bonnie and iolaire like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are heading down for presidents day weekend. We have Wyndham points to stay at the Travel lodge Suites Key West for three nights. We arrive at MIA like five PM. We probably will stay near MIA the first night. (We did South Beach and the adjacent everglades national or state park a while back.)

Do you recommend spending some time somewhere mid-keys for a few nights or just bunch up the time in Key West?

We are lower end hotel people so don’t need destinations with luxury hotels. We are looking for road food, scenery and snorkeling.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at Cheeca earlier this year and we did exactly the same thing... fly down, 1 night stay in Miami then drive down the next day. On the way back up we did the same as well... drove up (took the better part of 2 hours to come up from Islamorada) and stayed near the airport, rather than chance it and miss a flight.

I'd suggest staying in Miami somewhere after the flight, then just knuckle up and take the drive. On a good day it's not really all that terrible, and as long as you don't go crazy with the speeding you should have a good drive down -- no need to get on the road after being on a plane for a few hours and taking that drive after dark will be even more boring than if you wait until the following day.

iolaire likes this.
  6. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know....Key West in July is pretty hateful....but we live in South Florida so it was a change of scenery. Besides, as long as we are hurricane free, I won't ever complain about the heat....or the humidity!;) We love Mangrove Mamas, too! next trip, try the Loreli. Neat bar overlooking the water just below Islamorada.

Sweet Willie likes this.