Kevin Pinto Retirement Celebration: March 18, 2013

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Jan 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Will You Attend the Retirement Celebration of Kevin Pinto from Delta Air Lines?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2013.
  1. Yes, I will definitely attend.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No, I will not be able to attend.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I want to attend but am not sure as of yet whether or not I can do so...

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    A celebration of the retirement of Kevin Pinto from Delta Air Lines is currently being planned due to popular demand. Not only does Kevin know all about it, but he gave me his blessing despite being quite modest.

The celebration is expected to occur as a luncheon at the Delta Heritage Museum in Hangar 2 — adjacent to the Spirit of Delta Boeing 767 aircraft — at the world headquarters of Delta Air Lines.

The cost per person will depend on the number of people who will attend and will include admission to the Delta Heritage Museum, as well as a full buffet lunch with choices. For example, the cost per person is expected to be no greater than $30.00 if we can get 50 people to attend. As the number of attendees increases, the cost per person will decrease. Payment options have not yet been set, but payment must be submitted in advance. More information on that will be revealed at a later date.

For every ten people who can attend, additional food menu options can be added as well at no extra charge.

A tentative date has been set for Monday, March 18, 2013 for the following reasons:
    1. The Delta Heritage Museum closes for extensive renovation work starting in April and is expected to stay closed for the remainder of 2013
    2. The caterer, the Delta Heritage Museum, and Kevin Pinto are all available on that day
    3. The event occurring on a Monday allows for those attendees traveling from out of the Atlanta area to leisurely arrive during the weekend and avoid the business travel rush
    In addition, work is being done behind the scenes to possibly add a small event or two at the world headquarters of Delta Air Lines. More information on that will become available depending on developments.

Gifts are not required to attend the event. However, if you cannot attend but want to either donate towards the event fee or send a gift to Kevin Pinto, arrangements can be figured out.

There is a poll posted both here and at a similar discussion on FlyerTalk. For the accuracy of attendees, please participate in only ONE poll.

Please let me know if you are able to participate in the celebration of the retirement of Kevin Pinto from Delta Air Lines.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely interested in participating if my work schedule permits.

3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Canarsie for planning this.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish i could attend, flying to GRU from LAX the next day :(

Also link to the FlyerTalk thread is dead.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I'm in.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish I could attend but teach on Monday and Wednesday - will figure a way to be involved.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just looked at the flights, I'm definitely out too expensive to get there and no award availability LAX-ATL.

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SkyPesos... ;)

9. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suggest you check availability with AS which would require routing through SEA, but you can fix that day of travel with SDC. :)

David

10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My award ticket is booked heavy, can't add more than one segment.
    Also I'm not sure that is even possible to SDC and change airlines, I thought it was Delta only.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  11. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can SDC from Alaska metal to Delta metal, but you could not SDC from Delta metal to Alaska metal. It's like the roach motels, once you're on Delta metal you can't get out. :eek:

Flyer1976, USAF_Pride and traveller99 like this.
  12. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although it has not yet been formally finalized, the luncheon for Kevin Pinto is currently scheduled for 11:30 in the morning on Monday, March 18, 2013.

However, I received word that Delta Air Lines and the Delta Heritage Museum plan to give a special presentation starting at 10:30 in the morning before lunch. I understand that they will share the future plans of the Delta Heritage Museum. From my conversations with my contact, I get the sense that the project will be both interesting and quite cool.

Meanwhile, we are still currently planning for Road Warrior Training for the entire day on Sunday, March 17, 2013. As always, there will be a fee for attending Road Warrior Training. Details are still in the works.

However, here is the conundrum: we are being charged a flat fee of $500.00 by the Delta Heritage Museum for use of their space. It is important to note that the Delta Heritage Museum is a non-profit organization and the $500.00 fee is a discount rate for Delta Air Lines off of the standard fee that anyone would be charged for using the space.

I anticipate the cost of the catered buffet lunch to be approximately $20.00 per person, including all taxes and fees. That cost is variable in accordance with the number of people attending. The $500.00 fee for the space to have lunch next to the Spirit of Delta Boeing 767 aircraft — including tables and chairs — is a fixed cost. The museum store will be open on Monday, March 18, 2013.

According to the poll on FlyerTalk, we currently have 17 people who say they will definitely attend. Assuming that number does not increase, each person will have to be charged $52.00 to cover the food and part of the fee for the Delta Heritage Museum.

Here is a sliding scale of the estimate of what it would cost per person to attend — rounding up just a bit in case an unexpected expense occurs:

$52.00 per person for 17 people
    $45.00 per person for 20 people
    $40.00 per person for 25 people
    $37.00 per person for 30 people
    $35.00 per person for 35 people
    $33.00 per person for 40 people
    $32.00 per person for 45 people
    $30.00 per person for 50 people
    $25.00 per person for 100 people
    $22.00 per person for 250 people

I understand that the cost is high, but there is not much that can be done about that.

Additionally, there is not anything stopping anyone from planning an event in Atlanta during the weekend of March 15 through 17 — however, Kevin Pinto informed me that he will be out of town for the weekend.

To give people a chance to plan their itineraries accordingly, we are setting a deadline date of February 18, 2013 to post your confirmation. Payment must be paid in advance, and there will be no refunds after February 18. We have an Internet web site ready to go live, thanks to FlyerTalk member WesNSpace.

In the unlikely event that there is not enough interest in attending the luncheon by February 18, we may consider postponing the luncheon honoring Kevin Pinto and moving it to a different location, as the Delta Heritage Museum closes for the remainder of the year starting in April.

Kevin Pinto deserves to be honored — and I would like for this to be a day which he will fondly remember.

Thank you — and please accept my apologies for not posting this information sooner...

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    There was never a website URL posted or lunch times posted. Any further info?

14. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please accept my apologies for not posting it here sooner, Randy:

Registration link for Kevin's event and the Road Warrior Training event are now live at the sites below.

The cost for Kevin's lunch on March 18 is $25.00. A special thanks goes to all those who couldn't attend but gave a contribution that helped keep the costs down.
    http://dailystory.ticketleap.com/pinto

The cost for the Road Warrior Training on March 17 is $155.00 and is open to adults 18 and over. The scheduled times are from 9:00am until 1:00pm but you should avoid tight connections on departure because this event has a history of running late. Attendees will be provided more information via e-mail as the event gets closer.
    http://dailystory.ticketleap.com/rwt2013

If you have any issues, please send an e-mail message to wes@atldo.com.

For those milepoint.com members who are unable to attend but wish to contribute to the retirement celebration of Kevin Pinto, please click here.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the FT thread said registration for the luncheon closed 3/5. Is it still open? And if it is, when is the deadline for registering. Asking because there is a very slim chance I still may be able to attend.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:

Looks like the registration is still open per the website. Make sure to select the luncheon.

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wow, six whole votes already in the poll at the top of this page.

Keep stuffing those ballot boxes folks!

:p

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were asked to vote in only one place, FT or MP but not both. The FT poll is closed.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would sure be nice to see you at this event.

20. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice to see me at this event, but unfortunately work requires that I be on the Left Coast next week. :(

David

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm reporting this post, you shouldn't be using such obscene four letter words in a family-friendly forum.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  22. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be at the Hilton Airport on Saturday about 9 PM if anyone wants to get together.
    PM me for cell #

23. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As it turns out I won't be able to attend the Lunch however I will be around if anyone wants to meet up for happy hour on Monday afternoon.

24. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received word this morning that both the Spirit of Delta Boeing 767 aircraft and the DC-3 will both be opened from 10:00 until 11:30 in the morning on Monday for those who would like to tour inside of them.

Please click here for information about both aircraft.

The museum store will be open during the entire time we are there on Monday.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Monday!

25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, it would be nice to see you also.