Keukenhof

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anng3, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you been? I am looking to go mid April and wondering where to fly into, best days to go, where to stay and how many days to spend. Thanks in advance.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited Keukenhof about a dozen years ago. I was staying in Haarlem and just took a local bus out there. You could stay there or in Amsterdam (fly in there) and make it work. I just spent a few hours which I thought was plenty.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always wanted to go, we were in AMS last year but it was a tad too early.

4. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was last in Amsterdam I missed the tulips too. This year I'm looking at mid to end April and tying it in with a trip to Amsterdam possibly staying for Queens Day.

5. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, it's so lovely there! I had a 12 hour layover in AMS a couple years ago in late April, and learned about the place from the guy next to me on the plane. I took a bus from the airport (the route was well-marked)-- I think it took about 20-30 minutes and cost a couple euro-- walked around for a few hours, then went in to town.

They keep the gardens really well-maintained, so I think viewing is pretty good for the bulk of the time the gardens are open (late March- late May.

AMS- BCN 019.JPG

AMS- BCN 206.JPG

AMS- BCN 060.JPG

anng3 and tom911 like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been even more impressed during tulip time by just driving on secondary roads where the tulips are grown. It's stunning to see fields of brightly-colored tulips all around you,

7. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Intueri, love the pictures. I love taking pictures of flowers. I can't wait. Seems like it will still be cold so will have to
    layer. What did you wear when you went?

8. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    AMS is the nearest airport, and it should be a short trip from there. I've always gone there by car and if there's no traffic it'll take no more than half an hour. If you want to do touristy things in general, your best bet is probably to stay in Amsterdam and make a day trip from there. In mid-April the weather can be capricious, varying from snow showers to glorious spring days with temperatures in the low 70s F or 20s C. At night it can still get pretty chilly. If you're unlucky you'll get one of the interminable stretches of gray, rainy weather with temperatures in the 50s that Holland is so famous for. It rains more in Amsterdam than in London. Good luck!

anng3 likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trains are great in the Netherlands for travel between cities and major towns, but for certain museums, it's most practical to go by car--or bike, if you're in good shape and confident about riding among cars and on wet streets. Bikes can be rented easily, usually at every major train station, for example, and some hotels have loaners to use.

10. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recommendations for a good place to stay that's not as touristy as Amsterdam and not as expensive.

11. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went there in April 2007 and loved it. We actually drove from Germany for a weekend. We stopped in Amsterdam for Sat. afternoon and then drove onto our hotel in Nordvik (sp?) am Zee and then headed to the park Sun morning. I would recommend Nordvik (sp?) am Zee as a place to stay. It's a quaint beach town which appears to be a serious tourist spot in the summer but we found it to be calm and affordable in April. I forget the name of our hotel but it was only a block from the beach. The weather was not beach weather but it was nice enough to walk along the sand in the evening. We also enjoyed stopping along the road to take photos of the flowers growing in the fields. I'm pretty sure we were there mid/lateApril and it was clearly the end of the season in the fields but you couldn't tell in the park.

12. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    There are other towns like Noordwijk aan Zee along the coast, such as Katwijk aan Zee and Zandvoort, or closer to Keukenhof like Lisse, Sassenheim, Hillegom, etc. Don't know about hotels there though. Be aware that if you're going to be there around Easter that you need to book ahead as the place will be overrun with vacationing Germans.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, many places in Germany take a long vacation for Easter and you must get an advanced reservation during this period.

Look for a calendar of school holidays by provinces (Lander) in Germany to see the mass migration patterns on the autobahn, especially for the summer holidays which are staggered in Germany, unlike France where the entire month of August is the traditional vacation period.