Kettles On The Red Carpet!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BurBunny, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Egads! What is flying coming to? Waiting to board UA 430, DEN-LAX and what do I see? Kettles lined up an hour before departure on the red (yes, still red) carpet. Eeek! Then seeing them more gate lice approach and line up. This isn't even a full flight. Just sitting here shaking my head. Summer travel. Must be a bunch of PMCO folks.

:D

snap, hulagrrl210, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they trying to get access to power outlets? Anyway, I find it's best to let them be. They'll move along when boarding time comes. At least they don't know what they're doing. Why elites line up on the red carpet is beyond me.

DeacFlyer1, corster, snap and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rarely see people move along when boarding time comes and its extremely annoying.

BurBunny likes this.
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that it's probably once-a-year "kets" who think that the WN cattle-corral process is used by all airlines.

Over on AA, summer brings out the "families traveling with small children" who crowd the boarding areas, trying to pre-board (AA only pre-boards unaccompanied minors and reduced mobility passengers). Of course, the worst part is that some of those "small children" appear to be starting puberty! :eek: :D

cordray2643 and Scottrick like this.
  5. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears to be once-a-years who have purchased F on the continuing flight to OGG. Poor dears, they look lost and confused.

hulagrrl210 and cordray2643 like this.
  6. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priceless! Now seated in front of me, feet on bulkhead wall, knitting and eating chips :X

snap, kwai, Billiken and 3 others like this.
  7. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried to board a flight YYZ-ORD this morning and had an entire family in front of me trying to board with First/GS/1K. They didn't understand why the GA wouldn't let them board. I just waited patiently. Good thing it was at the start of my day, waited on 2 standby lists trying to get to PWM early this evening (kept getting bumped down the listed due to "customer inconvenienced by United"). My patience was gone by 1:30 PM!!!

kwai and Gargoyle like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They can stand wherever they want...as long as good GA's enforce the boarding zones. ;)

Captain Oveur and viguera like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow...that's a lot of multi-tasking! :D

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passive aggressive much? :)

rwoman likes this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hour on the red carpet reminds me of a redeye flight I had last fall LAX-ATL. The guy who ended up sitting next to me in F made his "place" on the blue carpet really clear...there was NO getting past him (between his bags and stature) and he was determined to board first.:oops:

12. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL - they were entertaining. Better than the IFE.

hulagrrl210, snap and rwoman like this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too find the gate lice annoying, but not as bad as other first class or elite customers who should know better but somehow still think it is ok to just cut in front of me. :mad:

viguera and cordray2643 like this.
  14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh and btw don't be a gate lice. I will take your picture and tweet about it. :D

15. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, LGA-ORD this evening, was in line to board with First/1K/GS and a lady walked up and cut in front of me (there was alot of gate lice) and when I said excuse me, she turned around and said that she gets to board first. I said, "I can see that" and just let it go.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure which is worse.

17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elites lining up 30-45 minutes in advance on the red carpet are FAR more annoying than any kettle doing it.

avflyer and rwoman like this.
  18. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I call it LCOOS syndrome (Last Chopper Out Of Saigon).

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  19. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure that's not just LOCO? :D

20. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, and yes, and contrary to popular belief, this red carpet that you observed the kettles standing in line, in DEN, is now designated as the beginning of the line to gain access to the 2 or 3 power outlets that are readily available in either the Red Carpet Club East or West. To power your iPad or computer it is now necessary to begin your sojourn to the clubs by standing in line at the first red carpet that you see before you can gain admittance to the real Red Carpet.

With the merger and the combining of club memberships, if Red Carpet members choose NOT to stand in the preliminary line first you will be required to wander around the clubs aimlessly, searching for the one or two remaining plugs that have been placed behind a potted plant, or a table with someones feet on it, and their locations are only known to by the night janitor who vacuums once a month.

Scottrick and BurBunny like this.
  21. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are others who know of the mythical plugs as well, but there is a price for the knowledge. One stormy morning, after sharing a bit of stale mini bagel with one of the club sparrows, it showed its gratitude to me and guided me to one next to a comfortable, quiet chair. In exchange for a RCC guest pass or two, I'm happy to pass along this sacred knowledge, sparing you the indignity of lining up on the carpet long before boarding is announced. Just my way of paying it forward.

22. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I saw the same bird there last week!

BurBunny likes this.