Keeping UA premier status

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Ronim2720, Oct 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ronim2720

Ronim2720 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had Premier Gold status for years as I traveled frequently for business.

This year, I hardly flew at all.

Does anyone know of a way that I can keep my Gold status (or at least downgrade to Silver) for 2014 when I expect to resume frequent flying?

I am spoiled and don't know if I can handle flying without status! :-(

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than buying PQMs, which is rather expensive, not really. And the benefits of Silver are questionable indeed when you compare them with simply holding a MP-branded Chase credit card. What feature of Gold status is most important to you?

3. Ronim2720

Ronim2720 Active Member

Status Points:
    The economy plus seating (especially exit role aisle seats). I do have MP chase cards. Maybe I should just pay annual fee for economy plus seats?

8MiHi likes this.
  4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will likely be cheaper than buying PQMs, and it will give you access to E+ at booking, vs. at check-in for Premier Silver.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    8MiHi, mht_flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ subscription is $500 through united.com

8MiHi likes this.
  6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, just buy the E+ subscription. By far the cheapest of the options available and between that and the cards you have many of the benefits of Gold status.

IDGflygirl and 8MiHi like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. Purchasing the annual E+ subscription makes a lot more sense if E+ is the lure.

For a concrete idea of how much it would cost to make Premier Plat or to get to within a short MR of it or of 1K, I have the PQM numbers. I have a JFK-SIN RT coming up next month that cost me $1,916, for which I am being offered 50K Premier Accelerator Miles (PAMs) for $5,150 or 75K PAMs for $7,725 (i.e., $0.103/PQM). The trip itself will net me 22,508 PQM. Purchasing the 50K-PAM option would net 72.5K PQMs and cost $7,066, while the 75K-PAM would net 97.5K PQMs and cost $9,641. One can make top elite after just one trip but it is not worth it this late in the game. Might as well save the dough and use it toward meeting the PQD requirement next year...;)

8MiHi likes this.
  8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just skip doing anything at all and simply pay for the E+ seat when you really want it. If you are indeed returning to frequent flying in 2014 then you will hit silver soon enough where you will get it free at t-24. If you don't end up flying very frequently in 2014 then you will likely come out ahead just buying E+ on the number of flights you fly. I agree the credit card benefits are worth it, but E+ subscription seems only worth it if you fly a lot, in which case you would earn status anyway.

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waiting until check-in to get E+ seat can frequently - depending on the route, of course - mean being left with middle seats. E+ subscription allows selection at booking.

But, OP needs to make an educated guess as to the number of flights to be taken in 2014 and whether being able to select E+ at booking is worth $500.

10. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a very very very good success rate at grabbing the E+ seats of those upgraded to F at T-24. I have higher than silver now so don't have to worry about it all the time, but when my husband travels alone we still play that game since he is silver. Not guaranteed, but just try to nab the seats of those who were upgraded before someone else does. ;)

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I'd do. At $500 annually you'll need quite a few flights to earn back that investment. That said, if the OP really is going to get back to 50K levels of flying buying the annual for the "race" to get there might make sense.

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having the United CC and the subscription will give you the Gold economy experience. If you expect to fly 5 or more domestic trips by yourself, then the aisle E+ bumps on the 10+ flights are likely to cost around the $500 subscription cost for shorter flights but much more for longer flights. 10 domestic TCTL flights can get you to Silver, but anything less than TCTL will take more than 10.
    If you are looking for the E+ boarding group 2 treatment and plan more than 5 domestic flights, it is a reasonable way to go. Otherwise you should just pay for the bumps as suggested above.
    Accelerator miles are likely to cost much more than this.

13. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what I have been doing ever since UA yanked my P/Silver ability to select E+ seats at purchase time. However, planning for some travel next year, I see that E+ seat purchase is creeping up a bit. Looking at ORD-PHX direct, an exit aisle is about $60 instead of the $50 or so that I have paid before. And international E+ (ORD-AMS) is running $110-120 for what I have looked at so far. So, I am considering buying the E+ subscription. For sample flights for the two trips I mentioned, buying E+ exit row seats for 2 people (me and Ms om27) on each reservation would cost a total of $712. The 2-person global subscription is $899 (= $499 domestic one person + 200 one companion + 200 global adder). That leaves a difference of less than $200, which would take only two more domestic round trips to match. So, it's already pretty close.

My question: does an E+ seat purchase apply to all flights if you have a stop or connection, or is it per flight leg? For example, there are only a few direct non-stops between ORD and PHX. It's much more likely to stop or connect through DEN or IAH. So, if I connect through DEN on the outbound trip, do I have to pay one or two E+ seat premiums per person for the outbound? Seems like a question with an obvious answer, but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated, since I want to decide on a subscription purchase for 2014 before they jack the price on that too!

14. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do a status match to Delta which allows you to reserve reclining exit row seats for free at time if booking if you are a silver for no charge. If you qualify for the status match at Delta, you can then do a status match back to United. I switched to Delta - the benefits are much better than at United except the miles at Delta are less valuable.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    E+ is priced per segment, not per trip.

16. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on which MP Chase card you have, there might be some perks, just with that card. We have the MP Club card, with annual US $ 350 membership, but that gets my wife her UA Lounge access (normally US $ 400), plus Zone 1, baggage allowance and E+, so well-worth the cost. Unfortunately, her old MP Chase card was super (until it was rolled into Club), in that she got PQM's for purchases (do not recall the cutoff, but we always made that).

You might want to "upgrade" the Chase MP card, but do read the fine-print. When the roll-over came for us, I did not, and the loss of the PQM's for purchases surprised us. However, as we're both 1K's, it was not THAT big a deal - just a surprise, but we did NOT read all that fine-print.

Good luck.

17. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when E+ is the benefit of UA Club Card? E+ isn't benefit of any credit card as far as I know.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It isn't. And the PQMs for purchases was at a pretty horrible rate if one chose to do that. It also doesn't include Group 1 boarding (it is Group 2).

As a 1K the only benefit the card offers of those described is the lounge access. It also has benefits with Avis and Hyatt and a few other things, but none of the UA-related bits described here come from the card.

19. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. I thought that it was part of my Chase UA Club card, but was mistaken.

Thanks for that.

Hunt