Keeping track of reward programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ASASG, Feb 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ASASG

ASASG New Member

Status Points:
    I've just joined (having read an article about this site) and I'm now feeling lost in the forest of forums, posts, threads, etc. Can someone tell me what they use to manage their reward programs? I'm signed up for American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, KLM-Air France Fly Blue, Fairmont President's Club, MyVisaRewards...frankly, while I have used points to buy travel & get deals, I find it a pain-in-the-a to remember what is where and how I can optimize what I have. Is there any kind of points-management-engine that lets you pop in your info from these different programs, and then tell you where you are (maybe on a status bar?) in each one towards getting a meaningful pay-off? I've used AA to buy tickets to/from Europe. I've used Fairmont to get upgrades & free nights. I've used MyVisaRewards to pay for hotels, train travel, car rentals. But I think there must be a lot I'm missing.j So, since this is a place where people love to use these rewards intelligently - I'm asking y'all for some feedback! Thank you.

MSYgirl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AwardWallet, Traxo, TripIt and others can track your accounts. Probably others, too.

MSYgirl likes this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

In addition to using a website/program to track your memberships, I find it particularly useful to subscribe to the forums for your airlines, hotels, etc. here on MP. This way you can get a notification whenever something new is posted in those areas. This is helpful for learning more about the internal workings or getting a heads up on a great deal.

For example, click here to go the AA forum. Just below the "Post New Thread" button on the top right there is linked text to watch the forum. You can choose how you are notified (internally on here or email).

4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome to MP! I've personally only used Usingmiles and AwardWallet so far, right now AwardWallet is my go-to programme as it is able to track what i need, with the reminders of points expiry and for my wife's accounts as well. :)

satman40 likes this.
  6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use AwardWallet for tracking balances and expiration dates, but it doesn't track promotions nor directly coach you toward where to fly/stay/etc to optimize awards. If I'm trying to take part in some promotion, I find it helpful to track that myself, perhaps as part of a normal todo list ("get five more Hyatt nights before 31 December: 2xSF, 1xSEA, 2x???").

As for "meaningful payoffs", you probably need to decide for yourself what each program can offer to you, and then track accordingly. Personally, I do something very different - I ask for each given trip "would I be better off spending points/miles than money?" I find that's a relatively easy question to answer. Example: if a domestic economy ticket is going to be well over $400, I might consider burning the 25k miles most programs need for ticket. If hotel rates seem high in a market, I'll look at points options. For me, it's about burning the points when they deliver the most value, hence saving the most money. That approach requires having a (small) hoard of points. It is rare that I hold onto points targeting a single high-value redemption, though that can be a useful approach. And my approach probably misses some golden opportunities, like using BA Avios for short-haul AA flights (9k Avios RT ORD-MDT!), just because I don't think of them at the right time.

Perhaps you want to consider going to FTU in April? Listening to us geek out about miles for a couple of days might inspire you.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    satman40 likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put labels on my cards, cheap and always there.
    Once in a while it tells me when to fold them.
    FTU 10X Hilton Card, April,