Keeping track of points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ocmikelaw, Jan 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    I have been following this site for a little over a month and I've been working to implement all the good tips. I can't believe I've wasted years of spending without the benefits. Through searching I found about 150,000 points that my wife and I had accumulated - mostly by accident. Now I have applied for - and received - a couple of offers and linked everything I possibly can to different rewards. I've also signed up with AwardWallet to keep track of my points.
    This was a long way to get to my question: What's the best way to keep track of my pending rewards? I've got them coming from so many directions I'm afraid I won't know if they don't post.
    Thanks to everyone for all the good information I've received so far.

sobore, Toula, deant and 1 other person like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!
    I just use a piece of paper and list expected points or miles besides each program. Very simple and works for me.
    I'm sure there are folks who have created spreadsheets for this.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I use a very simple Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything. Allows me to show "combined" points in programs where my wife and I can combine our points (i.e. SPG, UR etc.). It also allows me to see what points I need for any certain reward.

sobore and Toula like this.
  4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I track my miles online at GoMiles and I also keep a spreadsheet with totals that I update from GoMiles once a month.

I don't bother tracking credit card miles etc. because they normally post correctly. If I have a hotel stay or flight, like Smiles I have a little notebook with a list of miles I am expecting from where. I check once a week to see if they have posted. Once they have passed their supposed to post by date I then make my claim online.

sobore likes this.
  5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to have a great spreadsheet which would calculate base and bonus miles, and EQM/EQS based on your current status and fare class. It had tabs for DL, AA, and UA, tracked progress to status, cost per mile, etc. Alas, I got a new work laptop last week and I forgot to copy my spreadsheets from 2009-2011. Now, I have no spreadsheets at all and I really don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.

All that having been said, anyone have a good, up-to-date, robust spreadsheet I can steal??? :D

Gargoyle and deant like this.
  6. Grail
    Original Member

Grail Silver Member

Status Points:
    Few pens and highlighters, a piece of paper per program and one filing folder have worked well for me.

mailbroad likes this.
  7. The key is to put in all expected points in a spreadsheet with followup (on contacting the program) and expected dates (as per terms) and closure date (after the final awarding of points/miles). Of course, awardwallet is good for tracking existing points

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For existing points -- AW

For pending points -- the notes app on my iPhone. Why? Because I rarely have very many transactions outside of credit cards that have pending points and my iPhone is usually on or near my person.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi ocmikelaw,

One of the tricks a friend does is to snap a picture of receipts, tickets etc.. with his smartphone.
    He then uses Evernote to organize everything. He even forwards emails from reservations to Evernote.

Extra Pack of Peanuts likes this.
  10. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could also be edited to have said "my iPhone is usually on or near my person." I'll second Evernote or Google Docs. Most of my tracking is done on the move, so the mobile editing and anywhere access is invaluable.

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have a collection on my site, help yourself!
    And if anyone wants to contribute their own templates to the collection, send me a conversation.

12. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, I realized that I had emailed it to a couple of FTers back in 2010, and one of them was kind enough to resend it to me! Sad thing is that I lost my flight logs from 2009-2011, but at least they're also all on Flight Memory and Open Flights.

EDIT: Great set of spreadsheets, by the way. I'll be contributing mine shortly!

miles and smiles and Gargoyle like this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are some good spreadsheets, Gargoyle, and they've made me think about other accumulation data that would be good to track: credit card sign up bonuses, spend bonuses, shopping portal purchases, top guest checkins, etc.

Does anybody have a good spreadsheet for tracking those sorts of items?
    Thanks in advance!

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've become a big Award Wallet fan over the last 6 months. I use it to track miles for the rest of the family and a couple of friends I've given miles to in the past. Very comprehensive and can't beat the price.

autolycus likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    just checked, there are a couple code issues on that page, it references the wrong stylesheet; I'll get it fixed by Monday.

16. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your carving work it quite impressive. I always love to see the work of a true artist.

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thank you!

See, Milepointers, I do have a serious side. :p

sobore and autolycus like this.
  18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see my carving work is being completely overlooked!
    [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.