Keeping Elite Status - Executive Platinum

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dgosthe, Jul 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dgosthe

dgosthe New Member

Status Points:
    I have executive platinum status and I do not think I will be able to qualify the following year. Any tips on how to qualify without flying all 100,000 miles or 100 segments? I heard about the November double elite miles qualification challenge...anything else out there.

THANK YOU!

zpaul and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

Details, please! AA ran a double-EQM promo last year around that time, and I'm hoping it will come again this year since I'm trying to make platinum. I'll be back from Europe in time to wait for this and book a MR.

zpaul likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Buy higher fare classes. If you buy fare classes that earn 1.5 EQP/mi, you can get EXP status in 66,667 EQM. There's no shortcut on segments (100 segments could be as little as 50,000 EQM and be EXP if all your segments are 500-mile minimum segments, but it's still 100 segments).

You can get 10K EQM with $40K spend on the Executive Elite card.

The better question - how close will you be in terms of miles, segments and points?

zphelj, zpaul and Scottrick like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't afford the $2200 difference in fare class for my next trip. Is there any hope for me? :(

zpaul likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, fly more miles instead. If your time is worth less than your money this is likely more effective.

Espan, zpaul and Scottrick like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone's situation is different. The OP seemed to indicate he couldn't qualify on miles or segments, that leaves only points, which require higher (but not necessarily the highest) fare classes.

zpaul likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The deqm promo last year was in response to the labor situatuon by the pilots and AA tossing the pax a bone to make up for it.

zpaul likes this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not betting on double elite qualifying miles this year, planes are generally quite full. AA ran double EQMs concommitant with their bankruptcy filing and after the pilot slowdown. It's not inherently an annual thing.

You can earn EXP on miles, points, or segments. There's not really a backdoor to maintaining it.

zpaul and zphelj like this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here, I'm definitely not counting on any DEQM promotions outside of perhaps specific routes driven by competition, like DFW-SFO/LAX and Virgin not too long ago.

I look at trying to bundle in any double miles promotions. They don't count toward qualification but if I'm flying anyway and I can earn extra RDM's that increases the value for my spend. Maybe book through a reward portal or on a certain card to double dip with a CC program and so on.

Good luck!

zpaul likes this.
  10. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Potentially in the same boat (errrr, plane?). I am at about 53k BIS miles now. But it is touch and go for sure. I look at all possible routes to my destination and then try to fly those that will get me the most miles. For ex. I will often fly SAN-LAX-BOS because the San to Lax gets me 500 miles etc. the down side is that AA only runs 737-800 on this cross country trips and I get upgraded only 50% of the time if I am lucky.

zpaul likes this.